Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 26-07-2011 , 10:46 AM

more straight edge problems

I worry I may be becoming a pest on this forum but I'm really blanking on the approach I should take for this - - I've looked at tutorials but none really address it specifically enough to point me in the right direction...

I need to model the rear of this car. I've spent a considerable time getting an nice smooth shape with minimal geometry, which is what my tutor (rightly or wrongly?) said I should aim for. The problem now is that, when I need to start adding straight cuts, the smooth mesh preview is causing headaches. I've tried smoothing the mesh to give me more geometry, extruding the faces to give more edges in the required areas, removing the faces and replacing them with a straight edged plane, and adding edge loops; which worked ok but it's giving me creasing on the rest of the body. This is the last thing I want. All other attempts have just caused confusion and a mess.

Can anyone give my any ideas as to how to approach this particular problem of adding dead straight edges to a smooth preview mesh?

Last edited by se7enhedd; 06-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
# 2 26-07-2011 , 03:24 PM
The thin red line
When I get a chance will have a better look, at first glance could be the shape of your base mesh also look at average vertices in meshes.........dave

# 3 26-07-2011 , 10:53 PM
Lifetime Member
Whenever you use an edge loop it will crease any curved surface...there isnt much you can do with this tool function. If dave doesnt beat me to it I will get back to you.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes