Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 21-10-2012 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber

First time in Maya in 5 years.

Hi guys. Don't know if anyone here will of seen my other posts this week so to fill you in in short. I used to hang around here a few year back tinkering with Maya and stuff but over the last 5+ years I haven't so much as picked up a pencil to draw let alone opened Maya. However I got my Maya licence installed the other night and decided to jump in a have a play this weekend, starting with poly modelling to see what I can remember. Seem to of forgotten alot but Maya hasn't changed much since I used Alias Maya 4.5 back in the day so very slowly it is all coming back to me. Didn't have any reference images for anything to hand so as although I'm not watching or following the tutorial you can probably tell I did dig into my old DVD collection and grab the reference images off kurts original ninja warrior tutorial. So that's what I'm gonna have a go at modelling.

It's just poly box modelling as it was an easy way to start. The images below are what I have so far. Although I'm fairly early into the model and it's my first time back in Maya still I'd like it if you guys could critique my mesh or anything you see fairly hard as the w.i.p progresses and I will try to take the advise as I want to improve as much as possible this time around.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-10-2012 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber

Hi guys. Don't know if anyone here will of seen my other posts this week so to fill you in in short. I used to hang around here a few year back tinkering with Maya and stuff but over the last 5+ years I haven't so much as picked up a pencil to draw let alone opened Maya. However I got my Maya licence installed the other night and decided to jump in a have a play this weekend, starting with poly modelling to see what I can remember. Seem to of forgotten alot but Maya hasn't changed much since I used Alias Maya 4.5 back in the day so very slowly it is all coming back to me. Didn't have any reference images for anything to hand so as although I'm not watching or following the tutorial you can probably tell I did dig into my old DVD collection and grab the reference images off kurts original ninja warrior tutorial. So that's what I'm gonna have a go at modelling.

It's just poly box modelling as it was an easy way to start. The images below are what I have so far. Although I'm fairly early into the model and it's my first time back in Maya still I'd like it if you guys could critique my mesh or anything you see fairly hard as the w.i.p progresses and I will try to take the advise as I want to improve as much as possible this time around.

I personaly think it looks good but who am I.. I can't model a stick figure without having to many edges..lol. For being out of maya, looks like you haven't forgotten that much..

Art is a jealous mistress.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 3 21-10-2012 , 05:36 PM
The thin red line
The face does not seam to have any flow have a look in the topoligy section to give you idears................dave

# 4 21-10-2012 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
Is this an improvement one what you were talking about Dave, or am I still missing it?

EDIT -- Image Deleted --

Last edited by ckyuk; 22-10-2012 at 09:47 PM.
# 5 21-10-2012 , 09:26 PM
The thin red line
That is a improvement but you need to get some references in there to get the proportion right..........dave

# 6 22-10-2012 , 01:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Not bad for such a long break. The head is too pointy so the top of the skull needs to be rounded out. His neck is too wide at the base where it joins the shoulders too. Does the tutorial haf ref images?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 22-10-2012 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber
Yes it does have reference images. That's what I'm using, not actually doing the tutorial just using the images as I was impatient to start modelling and knew there were a couple on the disc. However they are not photo reference images just front and side views of Kurts finished model, so they won t be 100% lifelike having his signature cartoon feel style. I'm aware there is issues with top of head will try to clean up those five sided faces and round the top off so it's less pointy when I get home. I'll also bring the neck in and introduce some flat between the neck and shoulder. Thanks for comments, appreciate you taking time to find faults for me as after staring at it for so long I miss faults like the neck . Apologises for typos, on phone and struggle to type on it.

# 8 22-10-2012 , 03:27 PM
SoulStormer
same here..... Getting back to Maya after a long gap of 5 years.. I do have a task in my mind which I will be starting this weekend.

# 9 22-10-2012 , 05:53 PM
Subscriber

same here..... Getting back to Maya after a long gap of 5 years.. I do have a task in my mind which I will be starting this weekend.

Hi and welcome. Look forward to seeing what it is you have in mind so make sure you get a post up we can follow. user added image If you seem lost at first just stick with it, it's all starting to return to me now as I play more and more. Keep thinking to myself "Ahhhh, yeah that's how you do it!"

# 10 22-10-2012 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
Attempted to fix the issues with neck/shoulders and clean up the forehead tonight. Let us know if its better or not please. Also tried to better define the arm and torso muscles. Doesn't seem like alot but really slowing down and took a while as I'm nearing my current limit of my modeling skills.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 24-10-2012 , 08:37 AM
Lifetime Member
I think just above the ear could round out some more...might be the angle of the shot though.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 12 28-10-2012 , 05:50 PM
He has more underarm flap than my grannie. user added image

first post in 8 years, ha!

# 13 29-10-2012 , 05:11 AM
SoulStormer