Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-06-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber

Render wireframe

If I have a car modelled in NURBs. How can I render it so that I see only the lines?

# 2 25-06-2003 , 01:49 AM
Subscriber
Go to Window / Playblast / Options

Time Range: Start/End
Viewer: fcheck
Display Size: From Render Globals
Scale: 1.00

Then choose Window / Playblast and you will get a window like the attached picture.

From there you can save the image. You can do things like change your background in the Camera attributes or change the wireframe colors to suit your tastes. You can also not render the grid (as I have done) or not render the axis.

Have fun.

Attached Images
# 3 25-06-2003 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
The 4 key?

# 4 25-06-2003 , 02:40 AM
The Maya Mountain
there are also rendering plugins for that kind of thing available. I beleive there is one somewhere on www.highend3d.com.

# 5 25-06-2003 , 02:49 AM
lol R-Tillery. He dosnt want to see the wireframe. He wants to RENDER it. So you dont get all the background crap. Hence the 'Render wireframe' title.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 6 25-06-2003 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber
DoH!! hehe sorry,, still learninguser added image

# 7 25-06-2003 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
If you are on Maya 5 than you can use vector rendering to do this.

# 8 29-06-2003 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
I forgot all about this thread. Thanks I will try what you adviced.

grrrr
# 9 30-06-2003 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
there are also rendering plugins for that kind of thing available. I beleive there is one somewhere on www.highend3d.com.

you dont need plugins necessary. if you work with poly (not sure if it works with subd) you can use this little workaround.

you apply automatic mapping to ensure all wires are same width. now you save a uv snapshot. import to photoshop (or any other image program) invert it so it is black lines on white. maybe even enlarge dark areas (not sure how it is named in english - only have german version of ps) so the wire is thicker. now back to maya - create a material for the wire (in my example a stucco) and connect the outcolor of the image to the transparency. now you already have a renderable wireframe. create layers shader and put the wire on top and the normal shader of the model below. if you make then normal shader black, then you dont see the wireframe which is hidden.

also once you have created the wireframe on the low res version - you can smoth the poly as in my example - and have the wireframe of low poly on the high poly rendered model. and wireframe is rendered using a own shader.

here is the shading network and a render:

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 30-06-2003 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

there is also a method described here... "Single Sided Wireframe Rendering in Maya (all geo types!)"... -->
https://www.geocities.com/jozvex/tuto...wireframe.html

Provide3D has some plugin's e.g. NurbsData for Nurbs which will render the nurbs in wireframes... -->
https://www.provide3d.com/

I believe these plugins also can be found on Highend3d... there is a 30 day trial demo for download... if you are going to try them I will strongly suggest you backing up the scripts they will overide e.g. the Hypershade.mel since when the demo expires you can't get your hypershade to work before you have the original non modified script back... it really sux...

regards

Strarup

------------------------------------------------
Alex V. U. Strarup

One mistake can ruin it all...
# 11 10-09-2003 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
All that effort for a simple wire frame render :-(

grrrr
# 12 10-09-2003 , 03:39 PM
Maya5.0 comes with the option to render the wireframe without all the hassle.