Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 29-01-2007 , 06:14 PM

a modling request

I was wondering if someone could model a simple city for me. I cant model much at all... I want it for a animation I want to try todo. The city doesen't have to be too big just a few buildings, but the buildings have to be kinda skyscraper like, like Washington DC or NY. It would be nice if you had textures but i think i will be able to put them on. I also need a cool looking person but i can probably find a good one to download somewhere. I dont need it any time soon, but preferable before June but if its after i don't really care.

You will get full credit for your model and ill show you the finished animation.

# 2 29-01-2007 , 06:26 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sounds like another Uni or College project...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 29-01-2007 , 06:34 PM
actually no, its just that I want to learn animation on my own and I've done some a little character animations but i really want to do something bigger and what i have in mind is simple that i can do it but really cool...i hope. so the city doesn't have to be that amazing just good enough..

# 4 29-01-2007 , 06:38 PM
You could just make some very simple cubes and assign textures to them, it shouldent be thathard to be honest, then add some planes with a cityscape to them. that should do it for ya..

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 30-01-2007 , 02:16 PM
Well, i dont want it to be that simple...and the city doesent have to be big i just need like 8 buildings in it, if anyone has enough free time tell me and i will email you or whatever the plan.

# 6 30-01-2007 , 04:35 PM
you could have used the time you spent posting the forums to make your city, and it would have already been done... give up your social life for a day and get modeling!

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 30-01-2007 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber
That's the point NeoStrider, i agree with you! user added image

Galadiel

# 8 02-02-2007 , 07:15 AM
I've tried, its why i started this thread, but it wasent as good as i liked so i thought i could ask if someone could help or do it for me.... Which someone from another forum offered to do...

# 9 02-02-2007 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
Well let him then... user added image

I've got to say if you can't model a building, I don't know how you're going to manage to UV map / texture or animate anything. They are all harder than modelling a skyscraper or two.

# 10 06-02-2007 , 08:23 PM
1) Create a polygon plane

2) Leave it at 10x10 grid, but scale it up from 1 to 50

3) Select some faces

4) Extrude away

Attached image = 5 minutes, tops

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 11-02-2007 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
I made this city for one of my early cel shaded fliks but now its abandoned so if u want it let me know:
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 12 13-02-2007 , 03:37 AM
Subscriber
o completely forgot about this also. the visor actually has a brush for city meshes lol.

# 13 23-02-2007 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
I've got to say if you can't model a building, I don't know how you're going to manage to UV map / texture or animate anything. They are all harder than modelling a skyscraper or two.

yeah im in your boat petrol, totally agree with you...

not to attack you in anway but ehh i dont get it, you want to redo an animation that you have already done, but ... you cant model a simple building? sounds to me like a uni project what chris said before though i might be wrong ....

[BTW "severinianthony" PLEASE watch your image size! user added image]

Last edited by marlonjohn; 23-02-2007 at 07:53 AM.
# 14 04-03-2007 , 08:00 PM
I have to say something. No offence but you cant make some simple buildings, extruding or scaling a simple cube is like one of the first things you learn. Good look animating a your character though, i cant even make one walk properly even though i can make buildings quite well.