Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 31-03-2011 , 08:31 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

GAMING ON PC VS CONSOLE

Hey all so obviously graphics muscle on a pc are almost ten times the capabilities of current consoles but why is it that the current games just look alittle bit better than the consoles is it that game makers are holding back or what ?

# 2 31-03-2011 , 08:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
This is an article I found: https://www.eyeballistic.com/?p=415
Sorta makes sense... but not that much. I wonder if it's resolution too? Most PS3 games run at max 720p, right? Whereas a PC game must be capable of running at 1080p or higher, so the graphics can't be as extreme, or it'll cripple any reasonably high end system. Maybe that's nonsense, I dunno.

# 3 31-03-2011 , 09:15 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I don't know why some people have such strong opinions on it; I have a friend that is vehemently pro PC that still has practically every console in existence.

For me, it's all about the games I can get on the platform, not the platform itself.

# 4 31-03-2011 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
I am a lucky sod - I have every console ever made (not every version of every machine but 1 of each type) and even a Super Street Fighter 2 Arcade machine with an extra X-Men Vs StreetFighter 2 board (2 4 1 gaming hehe).

I used to play a lot of FPS only on PC because the controls suck on consoles but I find myself moving more and more towards my 360 (Thats runs most games at 1080p).

PC are just too bloody much hard work - got to get these drivers, oh add this patch get this update. And I am sure they add things to the code just to push the amount of power you need to run these games just to sell more parts. Sims 3 - looks shit, but out of the 5 computers/laptops in the house only my core7 with 10 gigs of ram and 2gig graphics card will run it smoothly - but yet it looks no better than Sims 2. (usually forcing me to give up my PC so the GF can play). My old PC which used to run almost all games really well up to Crysis at full specs - can barely get it going.

I got bullet-storm on both the PC (of my brother in law who bought it and hated it) and on the 360 - I use a 360 pad on the pc so controls were the same. My PC cost £1100 - the xbox £200. The game feels faster and lags less on the xbox, making it much more fun to play. The graphics are better on the PC but only slightly. I also had the demo on the PS3 - and although they go on how powerful the cell processor is on it - the graphic are worse out the three and takes the longest to load. Only using bulletstorm as its one game I have played on all 3. You all know how much of an Epic fan I am.

Reading reviews and watching some "VS" video on eurogamer the xbox out plays the PS3 almost 8/10 times and then xbox vs pc 6/10. Now not saying every PC is the same as we all know they are not - but to run the same game at a level that surpasses the xbox or ps3 usually means you have spent a lot more on the hardware. I only spent a lot of money on my PC for 3d - the games I barely play as I have every games machine down stairs on my 50" TV that all I have to do is pick up the pad and play.

# 5 01-04-2011 , 12:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Well I am a PS man, had them all but stopped before the PS3 came out...@ $750 for it and the fact I use the lappy at work anyway...lappy is good enough...I prefer the PC now tweety...funny you talk about the PC controls...coming from a console the old PS...I HATED the PC to start with...but now I cant bloody use the PS...the kids have ALMOST got me in Mortal Kombat and Tekken because Im a keyboard boy now....LOL, using the PS controller is bloody painful!!!!

TBH I think in 12 months or so the consoles will overtake completely in the graphics side (depending on development...see below) and the prices will drop so low...why would you buy a PC for gaming. I went to Kmart last week and was just having a look and there were SFA PC games on the shelf...maybe 20 at most and half were 6 months old. Turn around to the console area and each brand aisle was 10m long both sides and up the wall as well LOL, so I think PC specific games are well and truly dead...and I think you will find a lot of the newer games are console based...us PC guys are getting left out?? Tweety can you elaborate on this??

hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm PS4???? I did read somewhere in GameArena that console makers werent overly confident in bringing out new consoles for quite a while too...costs too much for development and the returns arent as good as they imagined...watch that space....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 01-04-2011 , 07:02 AM

hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm PS4???? I did read somewhere in GameArena that console makers werent overly confident in bringing out new consoles for quite a while too...costs too much for development and the returns arent as good as they imagined...watch that space....

Very true, I dont think MS or Sony will have the guts at the moment, for a few years at least. There are inherent problems in bringing a console to market, technology, delivery media, cosutomer base and development (both for the consloe itself and with actual studios for development tools). MS and Sony got a bit of a kicking fore development but that was the way it processed and was used for development.

There is probably still a lot that can be squeezed out of the current tech in them.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 01-04-2011 , 07:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Im sure they may be gster...Im no tech head but Im sure they will be working on the programming side and how the CPU interpolate the data...if thats correct for a Neanderthal speak LOL?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 01-04-2011 , 09:14 AM
i think one way to look at it is the fact that consoles platforms stay the same, so developers learn how to get the most out of the specific hardware, where’s in the PC market the hardware is constantly been upgraded, so the developers don’t know/have the time to push it to the max, as the next game they will be developing will be for slightly different hardware. I don’t know if this is true or not, it’s just what I’ve always though.

# 9 01-04-2011 , 10:23 AM
Quite true.

With the PS3 and 360 the way the processors/consoles as a hardware bit of kit handeled the data (specifically with the PS3 and the Cell chip) causes problems with the development process, generally the manufacturers release some development software for studios but it still requires the porgrammers to be able to shift to meet the new hardware requirements.

I read a really good article on this if I can find it I will post it up.

Steve

# 10 01-04-2011 , 07:15 PM
# 11 01-04-2011 , 08:53 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

This might be of interest:
https://www.maximumpc.com/article/12_...ting_pc_gaming

so basically lazy programming is one of the reasons for the decline of pc games

Well I am a PS man, had them all but stopped before the PS3 came out...@ $750 for it and the fact I use the lappy at work anyway...lappy is good enough...I prefer the PC now tweety...funny you talk about the PC controls...coming from a console the old PS...I HATED the PC to start with...but now I cant bloody use the PS...the kids have ALMOST got me in Mortal Kombat and Tekken because Im a keyboard boy now....LOL, using the PS controller is bloody painful!!!!

TBH I think in 12 months or so the consoles will overtake completely in the graphics side (depending on development...see below) and the prices will drop so low...why would you buy a PC for gaming. I went to Kmart last week and was just having a look and there were SFA PC games on the shelf...maybe 20 at most and half were 6 months old. Turn around to the console area and each brand aisle was 10m long both sides and up the wall as well LOL, so I think PC specific games are well and truly dead...and I think you will find a lot of the newer games are console based...us PC guys are getting left out?? Tweety can you elaborate on this??

Im also a ps fan(mainly cause of god of war) but i love gaming on pc and i think i read somewhere on toms hardware they will probably release the next gen consoles in 2015

Last edited by murambi; 01-04-2011 at 09:00 PM.
# 12 01-04-2011 , 11:09 PM

so basically lazy programming is one of the reasons for the decline of pc games

Lazy programming is easy, problem is good programming, and more importantly, making the best of the code, something lacking overall, maths skills are gone as well as physics..... Bit true for 3D as well.

True for PC's but more so for consoles due to restrictions.....

# 13 02-04-2011 , 08:49 AM
I love pc games user added image, mainly because of controls. I used to own a few consoles but never really got into them like I did PC games.
Shooters are soooo much more agile and the skill level ceiling is much higher online.

I can see why making games for PC is less appealing for developers, harder to achieve the same quality across all the hardware, piracy is far easier, and its much harder to estimate sales. . . e.g. they can know exactly how many people own a ps3/ xbox gaming system but guessing how many pc owners (everyone) will be interested in certain games is much harder to track and market towards. Tis harder work for everyone with PC, tis a shame as if done well it has the most reach and versatility.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 14 02-04-2011 , 12:20 PM
Lifetime Member
I would have to agree with you Laurie...PC gamers are harder to track. I dont know about the piracy on consoles though...they mod chip everywhere here.

bullet1968

# 15 02-04-2011 , 12:59 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I have both a PC and a PS3 ( if you don't use a PS3 for games it's the best blu ray player on the market and has a great upscaling).
I play on both and to be honest I think this discussion about which is better ... well... just bollocks .
I have Mass effect 1&2 ( plus all downloadable content) on my PC ( mainly because I bought both of them before it was announced on PS3) but I would enjoyed the game just as much on the PS3/XBOX/PSP.
I think that consolegaming will at a certain point in time outlive PC games, but not because they are better, but because a lot of PC gamers play a " cracked" version and that is ruining the market for a large part, incidentally it is also the reason for developers to make MMO's, because it's the only way to get a bit of money for their games. AND I HATE MMO'S..GRRRRRRR

Where in the past games got ported from PC to console , I now see a lot of that in reverse and that PS3/XBOX games get ported to PC and that is because the companies who make games see a lot more money coming back from consolesales than PC sales ( cracked version).
And I think that is the reason that games are not looking better on PC then on PS3/XBOX, I wouldn't either to be honest let's face it developing a game nowadays costs miljons and miljons of euro's/dollars, so why would you make the game better for a certain platform if I know that most of the people on that platform are using cracked copies.
And as long as this awareness is not shared by us the consumer I think that games as we know them now will not change or flatly disappear and then we have to stick to games like angry birds ( BARF)

EDIT:
I also hope that in the future MICROSOFT ad SONY will stop this Console war thing because I would really love to play a game like Fable on my PS3 and I am sure that there are people who own a XBOX would like to play Killzone 3 on their XBOX