Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-12-2005 , 06:52 AM

my first motorbike

ok ... i'm going in.. this is the first complete model i'm trying to build.. and I have to admit i was inspired by DILBERTS ( yamaha roadster ), thnx alot !!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-12-2005 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
a possible problem for why you can't complete models is you keep trying to render them incomplete

model the entire object, in crappy lambert grey, finish it and then add shaders, and textures and then try to get the renders right.

yer jumpin the gun, and its gonna make the model boring and hard to finish

First year 3D Grad
# 3 21-12-2005 , 08:06 AM
yep, true!!! but I also love to see how it's going to look like...

I guess that's what you mean by making it boring to finish it.. without shading... maybe at the end, i won't force myself to make the final details, because by then i would 've already seen how it's gonna look like..

but than again.. I've got: - a fast comp
- no experience
-no reference (in this model)

so for this one, i'm gonna try to do it this way... but i'l sure keep yer comment for the next model... tnx

question :
- what is the avarage time someone needs to complete a realistic model?

here's my second shot

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 21-12-2005 , 09:10 AM
so.. here i roughly placed the engine somewhere in between the wheels.. i'm just going to model this as it comes.. hehe i try to
look at it as some kind of improvisation.. oh yes.. i almost forgot to mention that i DO have a reference.. my own bike.. It's only
50 cc (yamaha TZR), but i'm using maya as an imaginatory tool to make it a ll bigger and more sofisticated..

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-12-2005 , 09:17 AM
nice start on the bike user added image

I agree that it might increase the time taken to finish the model if you're constantly working between the model and shaders. Then again if you dont try then you'll never find out if you work better one way or the next user added image
Heres hoping you get this one finished user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 6 21-12-2005 , 09:42 AM
Subscriber
Good job jornkes, thats beginning to look real nice.

Don't worry about the way you are working. There are no strict rules as to how you should go about your personal projects, so if you want to do some renders of your unfinished model, thats fine. In fact, I would encourage it, as it is quite moral boosting to see how your work is coming along user added image. Eventually you will find a work flow that works the best for you, so don't be afraid to experiment.

The amount of time that it may take to complete a model will probably vary from person to person, depending on skill level, level of detail of the model and deadlines that may be required. Don't worry about how long it is taking to model. Try and get some reference as well, even if it not of the exact same bike you are trying to model, so that you have something to go from.

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 7 21-12-2005 , 04:08 PM
thank you, really appreciate it.

yeah, although it's not the 'right' way to continue work, 'im just exploring around en playing with some shaders along the progress... and the most important.. I love it !!! :attn:

( admition:I am spending alot of time on this though)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jornkes; 21-12-2005 at 04:11 PM.
# 8 21-12-2005 , 04:11 PM
:attn: woaw verry nice for your first time...
i look forwards to see more of your work
great job jornkes!!!

waiting for the next picture of the moto :-)

xxx boortje

# 9 21-12-2005 , 04:14 PM
yep yep.. thank you... ... i'm curious too

humm i'm not realy happy about the exausts.. 'im gonna have to teke a look on that...

Last edited by jornkes; 21-12-2005 at 04:19 PM.
# 10 21-12-2005 , 06:12 PM
looking good jornkes

and as for messing with shader along the way i see nothing wrong with that at all ...........i find if i stick totaly to the actuall modeling then is when i get bored and the model doesn't get done, it's always nice to get a preview of what your aiming for give incentive to continue i think .........but each to there own user added image

Vis

# 11 21-12-2005 , 07:26 PM
you know this forum is filled with well minded people..
it's so nice know what other people think of your work and + it's no ordinary comment but also tip and tricks of skille maya companians... nice!! i'm very glad this forum exists....

now. back to the model.. i changed the position of the exausts; since it's going to be a race model... it looks a little more up to date and dynamic like that... any sugests concerning the model are very welkom.. I'm here to learn

*thank you*

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jornkes; 21-12-2005 at 07:29 PM.
# 12 22-12-2005 , 02:47 AM
that ugly color wasn't what i was looking for... ah much better

I wonder if there is a way to make a nice metallic shader,cause this one is shiny and reflectif, but nnot quite IT! any sugestions?

# 13 22-12-2005 , 02:49 AM
oops forgot this :

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 22-12-2005 , 06:35 AM
Subscriber
amazing results from just doing it all free hand, looks not bad

First year 3D Grad
# 15 22-12-2005 , 09:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Whats with the rug? wasnt a poly plane comfy enough for it? Perhaps some slippers as well. Just kidding, model looks good, are you using reference at all?

LOL

Jay