Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-07-2007 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber

another character model from me!!!

now that i've finished university, i'm kicking it into over drive i've modeled 2 characters in about 3 1/2 days. i'm trying to create a portfolio with my latest works, i wont be including any of my uni work because to put it politely it was sh*t , so three weeks ago i started practicing on maya day and night seriously i'm not lieing, and now it looks like the three weeks of hard work is paying off my modeling has improved significantly,

here are some pics the first two are my recents works the last pic is something i created while at university when i didn't have much skill

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-07-2007 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
here is my second pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-07-2007 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
my uni work (please forgive me!!), the image my look o.k but whhat you cant see is the terrible geometry

Last edited by jali; 20-07-2007 at 04:34 PM.
# 4 20-07-2007 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 21-07-2007 , 11:12 AM
Subscriber

second image

your second image was the texture painted in photoshop, i kinda like the look of the skin texture is it possible you can provide some tips as to hw dat was done

cheers

# 6 22-07-2007 , 12:59 AM
It is a very large difference between your characters when theyre textured and when they're not user added image Did you study 3d your modells seems rather rough even if they are supposed to be low-poly, can you show the wires it would make it easier for us to help you. And perhaps put this topic in W.I.P or finished projects. user added image

Your texture of the agent is kinda nice, some areas seem to have a lower resolution tho, if that is what you're aiming at then its okey, otherwise i think that you should consider making the hair as a model or with the Maya hair system. And what is that white spot on the man's neck? you were to lazy to texture everywhere and you still had a view from the back? user added image

Well otherwise keep it up man! user added image

Edit: The childs hair should look more "loose" right now it looks more like stiff wood or something (try following your scetch closer.) user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 22-07-2007 at 01:01 AM.
# 7 22-07-2007 , 02:21 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Weyu
It is a very large difference between your characters when theyre textured and when they're not user added image Did you study 3d your modells seems rather rough even if they are supposed to be low-poly, can you show the wires it would make it easier for us to help you. And perhaps put this topic in W.I.P or finished projects. user added image

Your texture of the agent is kinda nice, some areas seem to have a lower resolution tho, if that is what you're aiming at then its okey, otherwise i think that you should consider making the hair as a model or with the Maya hair system. And what is that white spot on the man's neck? you were to lazy to texture everywhere and you still had a view from the back? user added image

Well otherwise keep it up man! user added image

Edit: The childs hair should look more "loose" right now it looks more like stiff wood or something (try following your scetch closer.) user added image

hi thanks for the comments i'll take them on board, and in answer to your question i studied animation both 2d and three,
and that white spot on the agents neck is a complete mystery to me, as i textured the model everywhere yet whenever i rendered it out i would get that white patch

# 8 22-07-2007 , 05:22 AM
Look at the uv map and see so that is no area is outside the "box"

Edit: I think that the agent's ear should point out more, and you should try to modeling it more properly (at least if you're using alot of polygons) instead of just relying on textures. I usually model the ear freely and then weld it into the headpiece. I recommend that you use the Joan of arc tutorial if you dont know how to model a ear. And once again wires please, both on the agent and the "turkish" guy. user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 22-07-2007 at 05:27 AM.
# 9 22-07-2007 , 06:51 AM
Subscriber

Look at the uv map and see so that is no area is outside the "box"

Edit: I think that the agent's ear should point out more, and you should try to modeling it more properly (at least if you're using alot of polygons) instead of just relying on textures. I usually model the ear freely and then weld it into the headpiece. I recommend that you use the Joan of arc tutorial if you dont know how to model a ear. And once again wires please, both on the agent and the "turkish" guy. user added image

hi
thanks for the help, is the joan of arc a video tutorial or a text one? and you're right i'm still learning how to model ear's i found them hard to model, as for wireframe pics here's the agents wire frame, unfortunately i dont have the maya file for the last guy (by the way he's indian not turkish) so i cant show you the wireframe

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jali; 22-07-2007 at 08:22 AM.
# 10 22-07-2007 , 10:09 AM
Well first of all here is the Joan of arc tutorial(It is made in 3dmax but its still very basic so you can make it in Maya) And as you can see it is a text one but it is very easy to understand.

https://www.3dtotal.com/tutorials/max...c/joanmenu.asp

His topology is veeeery rough atm, i think that you should try to make a total clean head and start over again. The attached file contains a head topology that I like to use. You dont need to follow it like exacly but its nice to have something to look at and compare to.

Edit: Forgot to attach the image so here it is. user added image

user added image

Oh and remember that even tho your models are not so good at the moment your textures is still amazing. So you've managed to master the hard part and now you just got to learn how to model and then you can really start working with Maya. user added image For me texturing has always been the hard part.

Last edited by Weyu; 22-07-2007 at 10:14 AM.
# 11 22-07-2007 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber

Well first of all here is the Joan of arc tutorial(It is made in 3dmax but its still very basic so you can make it in Maya) And as you can see it is a text one but it is very easy to understand.

https://www.3dtotal.com/tutorials/max...c/joanmenu.asp

His topology is veeeery rough atm, i think that you should try to make a total clean head and start over again. The attached file contains a head topology that I like to use. You dont need to follow it like exacly but its nice to have something to look at and compare to.

Edit: Forgot to attach the image so here it is. user added image

user added image

Oh and remember that even tho your models are not so good at the moment your textures is still amazing. So you've managed to master the hard part and now you just got to learn how to model and then you can really start working with Maya. user added image For me texturing has always been the hard part.

hi

i showed my models to my freinds and they to think that the topology is fine though there are few tries in the model.
i used the modeling technique used in the gnomon dvd . so if your saying my model is rough then your saying the gnomon models are rough too, your in title to your opinoins, but i think and others think my models are fine.

here is the gnomn model, as you can see from the pic provided my models and the gnomon model are similar in topology

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jali; 22-07-2007 at 11:14 AM.
# 12 22-07-2007 , 11:53 AM
Well I've been told that you should try to avoid triangles as much as possible, and I see alot of triangles there.

user added image

# 13 22-07-2007 , 12:19 PM
Subscriber

Well I've been told that you should try to avoid triangles as much as possible, and I see alot of triangles there.

user added image

hi
you do have a valid point, however it's o.k to have triangles on area's that don't animate or deform very much, thats what the gnomon instructers say

Last edited by jali; 22-07-2007 at 12:23 PM.
# 14 22-07-2007 , 12:44 PM
kk, how does it look smoothed btw?

# 15 25-07-2007 , 11:07 PM
I'm moving this, please keep stuff in the relevant forums

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB