Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-01-2009 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber

Sand Speeder reference planes/images

I have tried several times times to get the reference images to "fit" both poly and nurbs planes, as per the tutorial- I'm not new to Maya, although haven't worked in it for a while. I'm using Maya 2009 so there must be something I'm not seeing-

I have units prefs set to cm, and all I'm able to get is stretched/distorted images.
Please see attached - thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-01-2009 , 02:59 AM
The Nurb Herd
instead of using geometry try just importing the image planes. Go to the side camera then under select I think, at the bottom there is image plane>import image plane. Then select the side picture

# 3 08-01-2009 , 03:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks- it just drives my crazy that I can't map the texture to a plane properly...

Using a plane allows for repositioning, using layers to hide, and gives a view on both sides of the plane. Earlier versions created a "default" surface at the origin, rather than having the user drag out a less than accurate surface on the grid- and then have to manipulate it afterwards.

# 4 08-01-2009 , 03:16 AM
The Nurb Herd
under the create menu go to nurbs or polygons> interactive creation untick that. Perhaps scaling a planar projection would make it fit. But I reckon you could hide the image planes using the alpha gain or something.

# 5 08-01-2009 , 03:17 AM
Subscriber
Nice- Thanks!

# 6 08-01-2009 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
i assume there was something wrong with the UV layout for the plane

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D