Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-03-2010 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber

young girl

Hi All, it has been a while since I have done anything on Maya and even longer since I posted anything here. Recently I started working on a girl's portrait, and I would very much welcome any CC you may have. The eyebrows are definitely not final.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-03-2010 , 08:40 AM
The thin red line
Hi Minstrel
You are most of the way there she looks like a girl, bit of a dark render. The things that dont look right are the middle of the forhead needs to go back a little, the bridge of the nose needs to come out and maybe the cheeks could be moved back a little........hope this helps Dave

# 3 17-03-2010 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber
hi Dave, thx a lot for the comments. here is one of the reference pictures I am using. the bridge of the nose does seem to stick out on that picture more than on my model. Not sure if its the light or what. i have another reference picture of the same girl from the side and it is a copy of my model, so maybe is the light. I'll play with it. I need to start working on the shirt.

Thanks again

Attached Images
# 4 17-03-2010 , 09:35 PM
Hay man,

Is that your daughter? I remember seeing a baby model you did and looking at this is relly reminded me if that model! t is if you want it spot on)

Could be teh shadow but form the ref the nose looks a bit off, also it may be best having multiple angles as its a tad hard to se the matching (tha

Looking good so far. Are you going to texture it at all?

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 17-03-2010 , 09:52 PM
The thin red line
Hi Minstrel
I think you need to moved the area on the sides of the nose (cheek area) back to get the result you need, when I was looking at her first I was think a older girl, looking at the eye might try a little bigger.............dave

# 6 17-03-2010 , 11:29 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think it could just be the lighting. There is a pretty clear terminator on the model, try some softer lighting.
looks good user added image

# 7 18-03-2010 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
Hey Steve, you are are correct user added image And yes, definitely will be textured.

what dave suggested may be part of it...but yes, the contour of the nose needs to be a little better defined, perhaps it may have to do with the thickness of the nose at the top.

Thanks all for the help.

# 8 18-03-2010 , 04:12 AM
Subscriber
here is the model without a render. I made some small changes around the nose, but the difference is not that big to what i had before.

Attached Images
# 9 18-03-2010 , 03:21 PM
The thin red line
Hi Minstrel
Are you going to do the hair more like the reff...dave

# 10 18-03-2010 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
to do it like that would be a different technique from what I did because of the level of control needed over individual hairs. the hair as you see so far is made up of 7 separate scalp sections and 7 separate hairs. My other constraint is the horse power of my computer. it may or may not render more easily with this other technique, but right now i reached pretty much the max number of hairs my computer will handle. that picture at the beginning of the thread took about 4 mins to render. My machine doesn't like hair it seems. I have 4Gigs on windows XP...so its really a lot less being used for rendering...

# 11 18-03-2010 , 08:19 PM
The thin red line

# 12 19-03-2010 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber
Thx Dave, here is an update. lots of changes to the face...pushed the eyes slightly forward.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 21-03-2010 at 10:51 PM.
# 13 21-03-2010 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Here is another small update...fine tuned the face a bit more.

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 21-03-2010 , 11:09 PM
Technique for the eyelashes and eyebrows ?

I personal made the eyelashes with alpha and paint the strokes. Can you share your technique.

And the technique for the eyebrows ? Pain the Uv map or used paintFX ...

Thx ...

Keep it up waiting for the SSS and textures user added image

# 15 01-04-2010 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
Playing with different hair style. its missing the pony tail at the back.

Attached Thumbnails