Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-11-2016 , 04:14 PM

Assigning Colour Issue

Hey all,

I am having an issue assigning a material created to an object. I am relatively new to this, especially this step, I am stuck haha.

Within the scene I have already created & assigned materials to other objects, and those objects have taken on their colour assigned. But the same process is not working for this particular object..

I have attached an image of the hypershade user added image

Also many apologies if the terminology used is all wrong, trying to get to grips with what means what, but this process is taking time hahah user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-11-2016 , 01:03 PM
Subscriber
Hi GabrielG
Select the object in the perspective view, then right click over the material in the hypershade and select 'assign material to viewport selection' from the list. If the object remains grey in the perspective view, try rendering it out. It may be that you have 'use default material' selected in the shading menu.
best of luck.

# 3 21-11-2016 , 05:05 PM
Hey there, thanks for the reply! sorry i am late in getting back (been on holiday) but I couldn't find the 'assign material to viewport selection' option from the list?

As per usual I have a screenshot to show in case I am missing the obvious haha, which is likely, thanks user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 21-11-2016 , 05:24 PM
Oops sorry, still a little tired hahaa. I was right clicking over the object and not the material. When I right click the material I get the option to "assign material to selection", but no "assign material to viewport selection"

user added image

Update:

I can assign another material to the object, for example I right click on the body blinn and assign to the selected object, the selected thrusters turn the right colour. However if I try again but with the exhaust blinn, it just goes back to grey?

And looking at the Common Material Properties for the exhaust blinn, the "colour" slider is subdued and cannot be adjusted up/down. Is this because it has a fade affect given? Next to the slider, where others have a black and white checkered square, this one has a small square box with a triangle.

Last edited by GabrielG; 21-11-2016 at 06:20 PM.