Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-03-2005 , 07:07 PM

Advanced(?) Cell Shading Question

Although I'm not sure that this is too advanced, I have actually gotten the basics of cell shading down, so it's a little more advanced, anyways ^^;;

Anyways, I have used the excellent tutorial at https://www.fenriz.org/projects/maya/..._shading_i.php to get cell shading from Mental Ray shaders and have succeeded in getting the cell shading effect very well. This image is just for example purposes:
user added image
My question is how would I go about getting outlines around the whole outside of a group of objects, or combined objects, like, for example, in a cell shaded game where characters are outlined from the background, but not necessarily all the sections that make up the character. Something like the following (photoshopped):
user added image
With or without the lines separating each part, I'd like to know both.

Anyone who knoes how to do this, I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks!

- Jesse

# 2 18-03-2005 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
look at the attribute editor on the shader, and search around for any clues on the thickness of the outline, i did this a long time ago, well, lol, maybe a 2 weeks ago, but what ever, not sure if this will help at all

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 3 19-03-2005 , 04:52 AM
The thickness on the contour affects all the lines. I know how to do that. I'm not asking how to get a thicker line, but how to get a line around the entire object. Maybe this is a better example of what I want:
user added image
I want to get a line just around the entire thing, not each individual object. Sorry for the confusion ^^;

Anyone know how to do this?

- Jesse