Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-11-2006 , 05:25 AM

Problem rendering using .bat files

I have recently upgraded from Maya 5 to Maya 7, and in the process I have also upgraded WindowsXP to Service Pack 2. I now find that I can't set renders going from .bat files as I used to in Maya 5. What happens in that the Command window opens and prints the contents of the .bat file over and over again until I close the Command window.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I've found that setting four files going at the same time, each using just one processor is about twice as fast as using all four processors on one render at a time (I have a dual processor machine with Hyperthreading enabled, which effectively gives me four processors). So I really need to get this back up and running.

Many thanks,

Julian:headbang:

# 2 24-11-2006 , 09:52 PM
Hello

I think that after you have upgraded to Maya 7 and Windows XP, the old batch files you used to use are incompatible with the differences in the new software.

If you could post the batch file here, it would be better as we can have a look at it.

# 3 25-11-2006 , 04:01 AM
Hi,

Thank you for this. It would be brilliant if you can figure it out. My .bat file is attached - it's only a little text file, so I hope we're both talking about the same thing.

I had to change the file extension to .txt so that I could upload it (this forum won't accept .bat extensions). Presumably you can just change it back to .bat as I have done.

Julian

Attached Files
File Type: txt render.txt (22 Bytes, 239 views)
# 4 25-11-2006 , 05:31 AM
i don't think i understand why you would want to create a batch file with one command in it when you could just type that into the run prompt...

oh also try changing to a capital 'R'... i was always taught that 'Render' works and 'render' doesn't *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 25-11-2006 , 08:02 AM
That's just one file. I use four individual batch files to set off four separate simultaneous renders - which I don't think I can do from the command line....

And I used a capital "R" first time, with the same result. If I use Render in the command line, it tells me there's no such command (or something like that...).

Ho hum...

# 6 26-11-2006 , 03:10 PM
sorry for the late reply julianBT, but my ISP hasn't been reliable lately.

Anyways, when you mentioned in your first post that cmd was printing the contents of your .bat over and over, did any error messages come up? I thinking that you havn't set the system paths for Maya when you installed.

# 7 26-11-2006 , 05:58 PM
Hi there!

What late reply? I hope you're allowed a weekend!

It's quite possible I didn't set the system paths for Maya - tell the truth, I don't know how to do that. I thought Windows did it automatically when Maya was installed. There was an option to check in the installer, and I checked it, so that should have done it, shouldn't it? Sorry, born-and-bred Mac man here!

I don't get any error messages, just printing (to screen, of course) the file location followed by the text of the .bat file. I've attached an image of the Cmd window, in case that helps.

Thank you again for taking the time with this.

Julian

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 27-11-2006 , 02:46 PM
Hello!

After seeing the screenshot you posted, I have to say that I'm quite baffled.

For setting the system paths, if you selected the option for Maya to set the system path during the install, you should be fine... and your screenshot shows that Windows knows where Maya is as there are no error messages.

After looking at the .bat file I can also see that there is nothing in the file itself that can cause this.

I think we can rule out the .bat file here. Since upgrading from Maya 5 to 7 is a pretty big leap, it is possible that the command for rendering has changed or requires further input from the .bat file to start properly. However I would not know about this as I use 6.5 Unlimited. Anyways, it can also be Windows itself.

I hope you don't need those renders desperately...

# 9 27-11-2006 , 08:12 PM
Oh well. Thank you very much for trying. I'll try to investigate further.

If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Julian

# 10 28-11-2006 , 11:45 AM
> Oh well. Thank you very much for trying. I'll try to investigate further. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Your welcome. If you find something, do let me know. Anyways, good luck.

# 11 28-11-2006 , 05:03 PM
Senior Software Developer
Have a look in the Maya Help Files for the render command and any delimiters that could be used.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)