Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-12-2006 , 02:27 PM
Subscriber

Mel Scripting

Can any tell me the basics/principals of scripting in maya? I've never mel scripted before so don't assume I know anything about scripting. Thanks

Cannibalism is just a friendly form of population control.
# 2 31-12-2006 , 11:29 PM
get a hold of the mel scripting for beginners book. It's very good at giving you the basics.

Otherwise all you need to do is to open up the script editor and watch what is output by maya. These are the building blocks of your mel scripts. Also have a read of the docs. The mel section there is quite good. Best advice I can give you is to set yourself a project and see if you can get it working: e.g. try to write a script that randomly places a randomly scaled object on the surface of another (or something like that)

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 31-12-2006 , 11:54 PM
The best way to learn mel scripting is to look into the script-editor and into the maya manual. you'll learn to use simple commands like 'move' or 'vectorize' easily..
or you might want to look into mel scripts you can download from the internet. those are mostly more difficult...
(btw. there are tutorials on the internet...)

see yea!

# 4 02-01-2007 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
Thats a good Idea if its not to much trouble do you think you could please post a link to one of those tutorials? If not thats cool thanks so much.:attn:

# 5 02-01-2007 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber
there is a whole kit on mel scripting on digital-tutors.com for maya.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 6 02-01-2007 , 03:24 PM
# 7 02-01-2007 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the link guys I'll check it out tonight haven't gotten to much of a chance to look at it been really busy.