Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-02-2007 , 12:09 PM

Converting Subdivs to Polygons

Hello people,
I have a problem: I´ve created a subdivision moel but it takes a lot of ressurces from my system. Because of this I get problems in duplicating it. And so i´ve converted it into Polygons hoping I could decrease the (megabyte) sice of the scene. But the scene sice of the Polygon is exactly the same sice of the subdivision. Even a very low-Polygon version of my Model takes a unexpected high space sice. How is this possible?
And: is it possible to convert Subdivisions into Polygons so they take a normal scene sice?

I´ve also made a test:
The scene of my Polygon model has 23000 faces and takes 13 mb
If you duplicate in a new scene polygon-cubes until you also reach 23000 faces the scene takes 4 mb. <- this 4 mb are the "Normal scens sice" to me.

Hä?
# 2 14-02-2007 , 01:19 PM
Senior Software Developer
Sounds like you have a lot of history left in the project. Run File Optimise and also edit delete by type history.

Also when converting from Sub-D's to polys use the vertices option, this will bring it down to the poly amount to a really low level.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 15-02-2007 , 10:06 AM
Thanks for your reply. Indeed, I had Construction History activated. How can I delete it from my object?

I´ve tried to duplicate it without using construction History and converting the new object into Subdivision. But it seems that the construction History has duplicated, too. Or it was deleted from the Object but still "hides" somewhere in the scene.

Hä?
# 4 15-02-2007 , 10:11 AM
Ok, I´ve found it. Sometimes it helps to turn on the brain and searching on your own!

Again, R@nSiD, thanks for your help!

Hä?