Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 61 11-11-2010 , 02:27 PM
Lifetime Member
Bugger me you dont muck around Leon!!!! mate that is good.....I think I have worked out the background...still cant replicate the clay look though on the model. Just discovered (curious) physical sun etc and mucked around with the properties...nice effect eh?

Mate keep it up...I know where to come if I want a chopper done now!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 62 11-11-2010 , 02:30 PM
Cheers Ben, The animation I will be putting up is not great as there are no textures etc as mentioned + a lot is key framed which I kinda suck at. We are getting a full optitrack system at our work place though which will enable us to do full body animation with motion builder and facial animation with face robot. This will be up and running by mid Jan so I am hoping to have all the vehicles and characters textured to a very high standard by then so we can create some killer stuff. Got a lot of work to do but hopefully the final results will be worth it and am really looking forward to having some cool kit to work with.

# 63 11-11-2010 , 02:35 PM
The thin red line
Nice model again Leon are you going to do any AFVs.............dave

# 64 11-11-2010 , 02:43 PM
No plans for any yet Dave but will keep you posted.

Here are some wire of other bits and bobs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 65 11-11-2010 , 02:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by leonlabyk
Cheers Ben, The animation I will be putting up is not great as there are no textures etc as mentioned + a lot is key framed which I kinda suck at. We are getting a full optitrack system at our work place though which will enable us to do full body animation with motion builder and facial animation with face robot. This will be up and running by mid Jan so I am hoping to have all the vehicles and characters textured to a very high standard by then so we can create some killer stuff. Got a lot of work to do but hopefully the final results will be worth it and am really looking forward to having some cool kit to work with.

user added image. That sounds super cool.

P.s, I'm a beginner with animation myself, so you'll get no eye-browing from me there. Roll on January

# 66 11-11-2010 , 02:48 PM
CT mask Wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 11-11-2010 , 02:49 PM
Armor wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 68 11-11-2010 , 02:53 PM
Face Wire

Attached Images
# 69 11-11-2010 , 02:55 PM
Boots Wire

Attached Images
# 70 11-11-2010 , 02:56 PM
Weapons Wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 71 11-11-2010 , 03:03 PM
Cheers Bullet,

I just use a lambert shader to get the clay look. Also make sure final gather is on and think you might also need caustics and gi checked.

Cheers for the kind words guys much appreciated, long way to go and hope that the final stuff is as good as I am aiming for.

# 72 11-11-2010 , 03:14 PM
Just read your edit Ben,
by AFX I assume you mean after effects in which case the rain was added by our compositor with fusion using some stock footage. Also added some lightning in a couple of the shots to try and make things look more epic. Will try to go into more detail about the methods he used once I get the animation up as it will not make much sense without seeing it. Have started to realize though how imperative compositing packages such as after effects and fusion are though if you want to create great work. Also the main passes that we use are z depth pass, shadow pass, object normal pass, beauty pass and then often render out objects in solid color so they can be manipulated easily.

As said I will try to go into more detail on this when I get the final renders.

# 73 11-11-2010 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by leonlabyk
Just read your edit Ben,
by AFX I assume you mean after effects in which case the rain was added by our compositor with fusion using some stock footage. Also added some lightning in a couple of the shots to try and make things look more epic. Will try to go into more detail about the methods he used once I get the animation up as it will not make much sense without seeing it. Have started to realize though how imperative compositing packages such as after effects and fusion are though if you want to create great work. Also the main passes that we use are z depth pass, shadow pass, object normal pass, beauty pass and then often render out objects in solid color so they can be manipulated easily.

As said I will try to go into more detail on this when I get the final renders.

Ah right. And yeah, agreed. I dont know too much about after effects, or compositing, but am getting more familiar with AFX and am learning Nuke aswell, and yeah, for some types of work...essential.

And also, yeah, the solid 'matte' object pass seems to be a staple of all the compositing style tutorials and reading I have been doing.

# 74 16-11-2010 , 06:41 AM
Some more progress on the Chinook.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 75 16-11-2010 , 07:43 AM
Lifetime Member
If I EVER get that good....I know I have died.

Very nice model leon...really bloody impressed mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes