Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-04-2007 , 02:29 PM

Underground Control Room

Well it's been a long time since I've posted anything in the WIP, the last one got lost.... user added image

This is an attempt to refine my texturing for low poly and environments, underground, sci-fi, and where ever else my imagination takes me..

Done with Maya, proabaly put about 6 hrs into it being that I really...really don't like texturing...and I'm a perfectionist...but enough rambling...C&C please

user added image

The Evolution of Gaming: DNA Studios Online

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I could learn nothing from him" -Galileo-
# 2 02-04-2007 , 03:51 PM
first thing i notice, if you're being a 'perfectionist'... make sure you don't render to jpg from maya... if you want a jpg then render it out even to a bitmap, then do a 'save as' in another program like photoshop or something where you can keep it as lossless as possible. that way we can see some details to give you a formidable crit.

from what i CAN see, i like the larger texture on the left wall more than the smaller one on the wall with the door because it doesn't seem to tile as much. the metal texture on the floor isn't so bad, but it does seem to tile a bit. if that's what you're intending, then make some definite sides to each tile. take your metal texture and add a black line around the edges to make it look like it's supposed to tile. otherwise, it just looks like a repeating texture.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 02-04-2007 , 04:31 PM
Well, thanks for the advice about bitmap>jpg, never realized I was losing so much in translation.

The floor tiles are supposed to look that way, I'll have to add more definition to the seams. It's kind of humorous that you pointed out the difference in the walls, I threw those together rather quickly, I'll have to play with it more seeing as I also like the left wall's style more as well.

Thanks Neostrider.

One thing is bothering me a great deal right now:

I would like to have the doorway to stick out more from the wall, I'm using photoshop to do all the texturing and I've got a basic understanding of how the disp/bump maps work, unfortunately I cannot figure out how to make the effect, as it is, more exaggerated. Is there a method which could help?

The Evolution of Gaming: DNA Studios Online

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I could learn nothing from him" -Galileo-