Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 18-06-2009 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
someone goes out and now believes the population of people deserve to be in their situation and decides to destroy them?

i'm not sure how common that theme is but i've seen it quite a few times, just not in a post apocalyptic setting, they've always been relatively modern

i'd like to see more character development in the story user added image

want to trade brains so i can draw a person as cool as you?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 19-06-2009 , 10:49 AM
Thanks to both the Steve's for your comments! Gster, I'll try and get that body and head started and in there soon. Just keep getting too carried away with the suit!

Chirone, I'll try and write out the back story a little more in depth at some point, I would like to do it, and it's all in my head already, it's just finding the time. (or more to the point dragging myself away from Maya...) But hopefully by the end of the challenge I'll have it done.

Started a bit of the leg interior this morning, here's a front and back view.

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 19-06-2009 , 11:26 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
Gster, I'll try and get that body and head started and in there soon. Just keep getting too carried away with the suit!

It seems to me your stuck in hard surface mode - switch over to organic and leave the hard edges alone for now.

Cool start - like were its going and very clean mesh so far

# 19 20-06-2009 , 07:46 PM
ha - awesome story dango and nice start on the suit. user added image

# 20 20-06-2009 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Dango I'm liking what I see (and a little jealous of your level of detail :p )

Keep up the great work!

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 21 20-06-2009 , 11:50 PM
Thanks Arran and CGWolfgang, glad you're both liking it so far!
I've done a little bit more to the suit, and following Tweety and Gster's advice,have made a start on the doctors head. Not done one before so it's pretty interesting, but as it's not looking quite right yet will hold off posting it until it's shaping up a little better. Working out where all the loops go is fun!

# 22 21-06-2009 , 11:37 AM
My first attempt at a head is coming along, I've got the main shape in there, but have a weird thing happening, I extruded the ears out and got them shaped in a basic way, then mirrored the head as I did before, but it keeps mirroring to the wrong side. I didn't change any settings and it was fine before the extrusion. Any ideas anyone?

Here's the head so far without ears anyway!

edit: Weirdly, I just re-opened the file and it's working now, now sure what that was about!....lol!

Attached Images

Last edited by Dango77; 21-06-2009 at 11:40 AM.
# 23 21-06-2009 , 04:25 PM
Hey Dango

The topology's getting there, there may be one too many loops in the nose/mouth at the moment. Also the mouth/nose seem a bit small/out of proportion to the head, so I would check them against some reference.

When doing orgaincs, dont rely on matching the front and side views of reference perfectly, they can throw out the overall look in the persp window, which I think may be the problem. keep moving the view about and look at it at all angles and judge it from that when gettign hte overall look.

Also remember to keep the topology going down the neck too to form the muscles/ligaments etc.

Looking good so far though so dont take this as being harsh its not at all just advice what I would say to anyone. Its a big undertaking doing organics.

Cheers

Steve

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 24 21-06-2009 , 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advice Steve,
I noticed the face was looking a little small compared to the overall size of the head too, will sort that out when I get back to it, and will have a look at the amount of loops around the nose area too, thanks for pointing that out. Funny enough I have been doing 95% of the modeling in the Pesp view, I thought I that wasn't the best way but found it easiest, now I know why! lol!

Really I only posted it at that stage so I wouldn't just suddenly post a finished head without anyone seeing the progress of it, plan to spend a lot more time getting it the way I'm wanting it. And I won't be going for total realism, I'm wanting the kind of Graphic novel look again, so a very squared off jaw, cheek bones etc. Will just have to see how it goes.
It is a big undertaking doing these organics, but it's a lot of fun too!

Last edited by Dango77; 21-06-2009 at 09:56 PM.
# 25 22-06-2009 , 08:00 PM
Got a little bit further with the head, about to take it into Zbrush to sort out the shape a little more, but here it is at the moment.
Loving the organic modeling, it's very different from the hard edge stuff but am really glad I gave it a try, will be practicing this a lot more from now on!

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 22-06-2009 , 08:23 PM
The Nurb Herd
are you using any references?

# 27 22-06-2009 , 08:26 PM

Originally posted by hammer.horror
are you using any references?

I wasn't when I started it but have been using an anatomy book I have and another which is for drawing, but has reference material on muscles etc in it.

Figured I'd have to this time or it'd turn out looking like a muppet probably! lol!

# 28 22-06-2009 , 11:03 PM
# 29 22-06-2009 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
dude, that's shaping up really well

the mouth looks a little funny though, too low? not sure... something doesn't quite look right user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 30 22-06-2009 , 11:06 PM
You might be right, haven't done much to the mouth yet, and the angle of the front view is tilted forward a bit, to make him look a bit more evil...
Will look at that next, cheers Chirone!