Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-09-2010 , 05:10 PM

Big Green 'S' on One of My Objects

Another dumb question. (sorry)

For some reason, there is a big green 'S' that showed up yesterday on top of one of my objects. Does anyone know what that is and how it got there, and more importantly, does anyone know how to get rid of it? Thank you!

Mai
# 2 14-09-2010 , 06:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
Can you post a screenshot of it?

# 3 14-09-2010 , 06:39 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
It might be a Soft modification tool symbol. Try selecting your mesh and deleting history.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 14-09-2010 , 06:57 PM

Originally posted by stwert
Can you post a screenshot of it?

user added image

For some reason, the green 'S' turned orange. Not sure why. user added image

Mai
# 5 14-09-2010 , 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Mayaniac
It might be a Soft modification tool symbol. Try selecting your mesh and deleting history.

How do I get to the mesh and what are the steps to delete the history from the mesh?

Sorry, I'm not very good at this right now. :headbang:

Mai
# 6 14-09-2010 , 07:03 PM
EduSciVis-er
Mesh is just another name for object. LMB the object, Edit > Delete by type > History.
Maybe make a copy of the file in case you need the construction history for anything else. I'm not familiar with soft-mod so I can't say for sure if it's that or something else.

# 7 14-09-2010 , 07:29 PM
When I RBB on the 'S', I get a menu with the Soft Modification Attributes. There is no selection for 'delete' but there is an option for 'remove material override'. I click that, but it says there is no material to override, so I click on the top one (it's the editor menu), and now I don't know what else to do.

The 'S' doesn't bother me, as I am working with all the other objects around it, but I do want to know what Soft Mod means and I would like to remove it from my stage, if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Mai
# 8 15-09-2010 , 07:54 PM
I figured out how to delete the 'S'. Go into Outliner, select the Soft Mod, and press delete on the keyboard. Voila! It's gone. :-)

Mai