Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-02-2004 , 11:47 PM

my new age speeder jet like thing.

my speeder jet thing
any coments???...

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.

Last edited by fire_master; 03-02-2004 at 11:51 PM.
# 2 03-02-2004 , 11:52 PM
here

Attached Images

Imagination will always lead to knowledge, while knowledge may not necessarily bring fourth imagination.
# 3 03-02-2004 , 11:54 PM
and a whire...

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 04-02-2004 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
Hello there Mr. Psycho ferret. (like that) it looks intresting. nice idea. would like to see more.

# 5 04-02-2004 , 06:46 AM
ooh, intriguing, wanan see this with a nice texture

# 6 04-02-2004 , 11:21 AM
Ok dont take this the wrong way but I think that as a model it's poor. The shape is terrible, it's lumpy and organic when it should look manmade, the render is of awful quality and you dont seem to have paid attention to form and function. But I understand that you're still learning (heck we all are!)

I think you should pick something that already exists and get some reference and learn to model it. Stick to the designs and dont skimp on the details. You will benefit more in the long run. At the end of the day you havent done any concept sketches for this model and you are modelling it as you go with new ideas etc. That's not a great way of doing it because if you cant get something to look like the way you see it then yo umay give your self (and others) the excuse "it's meant to look like that" and we have nothing to compare to so we cant comment.

I dont want you to get disheartened by what I've said but people here have a tendency to be too nice when criting other people's work. It's lazy and it doesnt help you learn so take my comments onboard and keep on learning.

good luck
user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 04-02-2004 , 03:14 PM
thanks Alan.
critisisim is what i need.
user added image
I think im going to tweak it whithout smoothing it i think that may help it a bit.
and I am verry disopointed in the way the cockpit is comeing out I cant seem to figure out how to make it look like a cockpit and not an egg.

Last edited by fire_master; 04-02-2004 at 03:19 PM.
# 8 04-02-2004 , 03:59 PM
smoothing it is not the problem. the problem is the basic shape of it doesnt lend itself well to smoothing. For a start why have you triangulated it? you dont need to do that unless you are going to use it in a game engine.

As far as the cockpit goes it looks like "an egg" because it is all part of the same mesh. How would that cockpit fit together with the body of a real aircraft/vehicle? think about joins and seams and hinges etc.

I would split the mesh into four main parts. The cockpit, the body and the two "legs". from there tweak each part and remodel if you have to. That will make it easier to see what's going on. But remember "form and function" think about how something in real life (e.g. the skids on a helicopter for example) work and how they are connected to a real helicopter. Use references where possible. Look at real machines and see how they work. that will make your work a lot more convincing.

user added image
Alan

IMDB
# 9 04-02-2004 , 04:59 PM

For a start why have you triangulated it?

i wasent aware that i did nor do i know what that means . sorry please excuse my ignoence. user added image

# 10 04-02-2004 , 05:06 PM
dont worry about it, actually on closer inspection it isnt triangulated it's just messy user added image the body doesnt need that many polys and you really will want to keep them much neater than that it will make it easier in the end when it comes to texturing etc..

IMDB
# 11 04-02-2004 , 06:13 PM
messy gah! how dare you
jk
im going to work on it and post my progress here thanks for your help so far user added image

# 12 04-02-2004 , 06:20 PM
anytime

Good Luck

Alan

IMDB
# 13 04-02-2004 , 06:28 PM
should i try to edit the model i have?
Or would i be best off starting the project from the begining???

# 14 04-02-2004 , 06:34 PM
for my money I would put this one down to experience, get some reference model/sketch some ideas and then start again. It's gonna be easier than wading through that mesh but it's up to you.

One point for example is on the "legs" where they are straight at the bottom you could get away with only a couple of extrudes rather than 20 user added image that would make your life easier. But that's just one of those things you will learn as you go along

Alan

IMDB
# 15 04-02-2004 , 06:44 PM
Here is something to help you simplify the mesh... remember, you only need really broad geometry at this point.

Attached Images

"On the other hand... the early worm gets eaten."