Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 61 13-08-2006 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
Cheers tadpole, im enjoying bringing this together!

Have to say im looking forward to seeing the finished version too!

user added image

J.

# 62 14-08-2006 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
for those with high speed internet i've posted the, slightly tweeked original, uncompressed version.

20mb Uncompressed Shot1

for those who don't know, right click then "save target as" to download otherwise you will see a Q for quicktime in the browser untill it has downloaded.

Cheers,

Jamie.

# 63 14-08-2006 , 11:26 AM
Subscriber
Looks really good, this will be one top animation when complete. I liked the look of the ocean during the opening from top view.

You might need to up the resolution of the clouds they look too blurry towards the end of the shot.

Can't wait to see this completed man user added image Very exciting stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
# 64 18-08-2006 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber
BOLLOCKS!!! This borrowed computer doesn't have Quick Time!:-(

I guess I will have to wait until I get home (from active duty) to see this...

The stills look great. I can barely tell that the clouds are blurrier than perhaps they should be, but I guess you might want to even out the focus to prevent the "video game" effect. Whatever the case, this animation is certainly one of the highlights of my experience on Simply Maya to date!

carry on and see you all in a few days...!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 65 18-08-2006 , 07:47 PM
Subscriber
Hey BMS, sorry mate simplymaya isn't mailing me anymore when I recieve a reply and i've been entangled in a script im writing. But cheers for the comments and i'll certainly bump up the resolution of the texture map next time I render, although, that said I am applying DOF in post which could be the blurryness you're talking about. thanks for the comments though, we'll soon see next render user added image

Hey Jim, if I get another render done before you return home i'll be sure to encode it to WMP or something for you!

But cheers, really pushing my amature boundaries with this, really want that dream job in 3D somewhere soon!user added image

Enjoy the rest of your camp mate! Lookforward to seeing your reel!

Just a quick update. I've been working on a mel script to automatically animate tracers for the messerschmitt. I could do it by hand, but wanted to see if I could do something along the lines of what a TD might come up with.

user added image

i'll post the script up this weekend with a video tutorial on how to use, might come in handy for someone.

user added image Everyone!

Jamie

# 66 19-08-2006 , 12:09 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Jamie

I wondered if anyone else was getting a reply notice, will contact admin...

Jay

# 67 19-08-2006 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber
Ok, finally finished the quick video tutorial for the script.

The tutorial on how to use it can be seen here:

Tracer Rigging Script - 40mb Streaming

and the script can be downloaded here

Mel Script RAR file - Less than 10kb

The script works without any known bugs. But please watch the video tutorial before use. I have released it without putting any error catchment in therefore if you do something you're not supposed to you will get errors. I will get round to polishing it up, but I want to finish this dogfight sequence first. Just follow the steps as per the video and you'll be fine! user added image

Any features you'd like added, just let me know!

Cheers,

Jamie.

# 68 19-08-2006 , 09:09 PM
Subscriber
hey man i just checked out the vid

i think it looks good but at the start to me it doent look like the plane is flying
it looks a little stiff or something
saying that it might just be caused from streaming it

keep it up:bow:

edit: oh an very cool script

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973

Last edited by pbman; 19-08-2006 at 09:20 PM.
# 69 20-08-2006 , 07:30 AM
Subscriber
Hey pbman,

thanks for that, I'll have a look into it, maybe add more roll motion in the opening see what it looks like!
user added image

Thanks regarding the script!

Cheers,

Jamie.

# 70 21-08-2006 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
the flying and the beggining of the sceene is gr8 but at the end it's just waiting for the shot to end try a second camera or try moving the camera with them, just a though:blush:

# 71 22-08-2006 , 02:31 AM
Subscriber
hey tadpole3159,

Yeah, agree with you there, im in the process of reworking the camera movments.

I'll post more shots later,

cheers

Jamie.

# 72 23-08-2006 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber

Whee

Hiya!

Wonderful animation - I love it.
Only one thing to complain... It's too short ! Could watch it for an hour or so :attn:

maybe a bit offtopic, but i give it a shot..
Wonder how you did the camera movements. Especially the switches between the cams during the animation. I tried a couple of melscripts form highend, but the most i found was crab or buggy as hell. So i started to write my own little tool to switch cams. But...isn't there something in Maya to control the cams in the scene more intuitiv and easier? I mean...it would take forever to set up the cams like you did by simply keyframing. That brings me to my final question:
Are you just a god or do you know some magic buttons? :bow:

cheers

mac

..the Force is with me (sometimes)
# 73 23-08-2006 , 10:55 AM
Looking really good!

The only thing that I could say is that the sea looks a bit repetitave, especially when the shot has a lot of sea in so to speak, If you cut down that shot with some more close ups then, to me, it wouldent be noticable, but then thats all in the editing, as your showing raw footage its damm fine!!!

Have you added any post production in there at all or is it the footage compiled straight from maya?

Well into this, looking forward to updates!

# 74 23-08-2006 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Hiya Mac, glad you liked it user added image

Sorry its short but i'll be adding alot more to it by monday, whole weekend off to fix things and render!

The camera movments are a mixture of key frame animation and using "attach to motion path" to follow a curve. Basically I parent my camera to a Null object (Locator) making sure the aim constraint is not parented. I then attach the locator to a curve to follow for the entire length of the shot. From there its all key framing untill I get the look im going for. Keying both the camera (Not the locator) translation and the aim transform node.

Switching the camera... ahh, thats fooled some people in the past. I'm not switching cameras at all in maya, I rendered out the 5 shots separately using the playblas feature and then edited them together in After Effects. It is possible to switch cameras in Maya (via mel), but the way my pipline is set up I need to have each shot in its own scene file.

Hahaha, thanks, im no God, just a self taught 3D student trying to find a job! The secret is knowing the theory behind what you are doing in your 3D package... If you know what you need to do (theory wise) to get the result you're looking for you're 80% of the way there I feel. Learning the package wasn't the part I found difficult, it was aquiring the theory. user added image

Cheers gster,

I'm really struggling to remove the repetitiveness from the sea. I've kind off scrapped my original shot1 and re-animated what I think is a little more exciting to watch. Maybe this will take your eye away from the sea a little.

I'm rendering this all streight from Maya using MR. I am however adding in lens flare and DOF in post in After effects.

user added image Cheers for the comments, much appreciated!

Update

I've decided to change shot1 completely in favour off something that I feel is a little more exciting, let me know what you think. Its just a quick render, poor anti aliasing etc. Please ignore the flying wheels and missing one from the spit, something must have gone wrong prior to rendering. There is motion blur but no DOF.

New shot 1 - 19mb .Mov

A frame from the animation:
user added image

Cheers everyone,

Jamie.

# 75 24-08-2006 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
Love the fact you've put aileron movement, looks cool . . . but, user added image you need to reduce it by about half what you have. Look way to much.

Other than that I can't wait to see this complete. My 7 year old keeps on asking my if you've finished it yet!

Cheers
Paul