Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-02-2007 , 06:03 AM

Birails

okay. Could someone please maybe explain what birailing is, or how it works? I'm learning from a video, but It doesn't say what it is, or how it works, so I can't figure out why it's not working for me. thanks

# 2 22-02-2007 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
its a form of lofting isn't it.., select you curves and rails (paths of sorts) and you make a surface.., for more in depth look, check your script editor for the mel. or. try the help files if no one here has an answer that helps you.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 22-02-2007 , 11:38 PM
I guess to refine what i'm asking... that are the 'rules' for birails? Which curves are the rails, which ones are the profiles? Do the curves have to end where they intersect? I'm just trying to figure out why mine won't work when they are set up exactly as the video's

# 4 23-02-2007 , 12:32 AM

Originally posted by mirek03
its a form of lofting isn't it.., select you curves and rails (paths of sorts) and you make a surface.., for more in depth look, check your script editor for the mel. or. try the help files if no one here has an answer that helps you.

Yes, it is a form of lofting. The rule is that there must be two profiles and two rails (birail), that make an enclosed, four-sided area. The curves don't necessarily have to be end-to-end, but they must be connected (not required to be attatched). When you go in to select the tool for birailing, you select two opposite curves in your four-sided shape, and then the other two opposites. Don't hold anything down when you're doing this. Maya simply knows what you're doing, and keeps the curves highlighted. It doesn't matter if the curves are straight or wavy, as long as they connect. Digital Tutors has a really good tutorial on birailing. You should check it out!

Sparticususer added image cheers!

Expect to excell...
# 5 23-02-2007 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
very true, if not connected they will not loft and that is most likely the reason yours are not.

connected is the golden rule

# 6 24-02-2007 , 08:51 PM
thanks guys. They look connected to me.. and when i created the curves they were constrained to the other curves i'm using in the birail. When I attempt to birail, it says that the birail was created, but nothing is actually shown. no mesh or anything. It worked for the other patches, there are jsut a few prolbem ones.

# 7 25-02-2007 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
try snapping an end vert to the curve and drag it to the end of the rail, or snap them somehow, Im on the run, late for uni, I hope someone else can expand on what I am saying