Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-08-2007 , 03:32 AM

The Blackened Isles

hi all,
I'm going to attempt to make a mod for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. i do need ALOT of help with it, just visit this link:
https://www.theblackenedisles.joopsontoons.com

The reason why i am posting it in the WIP forum is because its going to be a huge project that i want to be good. so i need crits and comments.

also, if anyone is interested in helping me, just IM me, or post a comment here.

my AIM name is: Joopson

i will soon post up some WIP images, so get ready ^_^

-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com

Last edited by Joopson; 06-08-2007 at 02:09 AM.
# 2 05-08-2007 , 03:48 AM
just started a simple thing.

its called fort Wet-Dust

Attached Thumbnails

www.joopson.com
# 3 05-08-2007 , 05:02 AM
Given that this is 'simplymaya' (as opposed to 'simplymax'), are you attempting to make the models in maya?
Because last I knew, the models had to be made in 3ds max, and exported from there.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 4 05-08-2007 , 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Xander-0
Given that this is 'simplymaya' (as opposed to 'simplymax'), are you attempting to make the models in maya?
Because last I knew, the models had to be made in 3ds max, and exported from there.

Surely you could just model them in maya then export them over??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 05-08-2007 , 10:18 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
do you have sketches and a sort of plan/storyline?
because i don't think it can be a succes otherwise.
If you have an image of a building and /or character, i wil be glad to help, never have worked on a game/mod before, but am willing to give it a go.

# 6 05-08-2007 , 10:26 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by mastone
do you have sketches and a sort of plan/storyline?
because i don't think it can be a succes otherwise.
If you have an image of a building and /or character, i wil be glad to help, never have worked on a game/mod before, but am willing to give it a go.

Did you even visit the website he provided?

# 7 05-08-2007 , 10:37 AM
Yes i did saw some rough sketches and some of the models.
But for me those rough sketches aren't enough, i can make something from that picture, but it will probably not be as they want it to be.

I also saw a piece of text which described several locations, with some backgroundinformation, but not the storyline.
They described the buildings very good, but i don't know the restrictions and the exact style they are going for, that's why i asked for some images.

And because i don't live around the corner i think it is of vital importance to get the above mentioned just right.
It will prevent alot of do overs, i think.

# 8 05-08-2007 , 02:34 PM
as i said, i am just starting it, so not everything is developed.

as for the exporting thing, i do have a plug in for Maya, so no worries there.

no real storyline yet, but there doesn't need to be a big one, maybe a bunch of side-quests. but i don't need all that yet, thats gonna be made when i start developing it in the TES construction set, and making all the characters and stuff, so no rush. user added image

Mastone, i also just started this 2 or three days ago, so concepts are still in the works. but if a concept doesn't give enough information or detail or something, just model how you would think it would be. you know?

also, before i approve anyone to help, i need a sample of their low-poly work, so if you do want to contribute, just email me the picture, and ill say if you can help or not.

and if you look at the building descriptions, there is one concept picture in the click the link under "Vola-San", which shows you the average house in that town. those drawings are in development for all the towns, so just stay-tuned

www.joopson.com
# 9 05-08-2007 , 11:09 PM
Ok i've twiddled around with the sandcrawler thing, and this is the best i could do, i've made a quick texture for it but nothing fancy
The low poly mesh is approx 900 faces, i don't know the poly limit but i quess this isn't to much.
I've added a displacementmap to the low-polymesh.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 05-08-2007 , 11:11 PM
And here's the sourceimage

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 05-08-2007 , 11:43 PM
well, thats for a different project, that hit a dead end.
but it looks OK, but the game engine for morrowind doesnt support normal maps or displacement maps, or even bump maps.

sorry if you got the things mixed up, that is from BlackRing studios, which sadly is in a coma, haha.

www.joopson.com
# 12 06-08-2007 , 03:55 AM
where did you find the exporter? I'd like a copy, so that I can put stuff into morrowwind, too.

thanks!

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 13 06-08-2007 , 04:16 AM

www.joopson.com
# 14 06-08-2007 , 04:30 AM
Joopson > 'I'm going to attempt to make a mod for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind.'

Looked around your site a bit and read the concepts and stuff. Its pretty intersting, especially the descriptions of the environs, towns and the Blood Vine. Are you going to refine these concepts further or do you plan to focus on the modelling and graphics?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 15 06-08-2007 , 07:39 AM
sorry if you got the things mixed up, that is from BlackRing studios, which sadly is in a coma, haha.

:headbang: :headbang: why !!!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

If you have some conceptart ready. let it know mate(i suck at actual drawing, so would'nt be of much help there) and give the restrictions with it especially polycount since i can't mask anything with a bump or normal-map :p