Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-10-2009 , 01:13 PM
Subscriber

Exporting Mesh problem

Hi Everyone,

Ive got this character that I have been busy modeling in Maya and I got to a point were I want to export parts of the mesh into Zbrush for detailing.
Before exporting it to an OBJ file I give my mesh a quick check for any faces with more than 4 vertex points, however when I attempt to import it into Zbrush I get a warning message (See attached files) telling me that I don't have the correct subdiv level. I got around this by going back to maya and reversing the the face normals.

BUT! the big problem is when I finally get it into Zbrush and subdivide the mesh it explodes (see pic's).

Can anyone please help me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 22-10-2009 , 02:34 PM
Deleted the history ?
freeze the transformations ?

# 3 22-10-2009 , 02:34 PM
sorry m8 but your screen shot is waaaaaaay tooooo biiiiiig. Makes it hard to read on my screen cause I can only see a small portion of it and have to use scroll bars.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 22-10-2009 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys,

Sorry about the massive pictures.
I have spent all day trying to sort the problem out and I think I might of found a way around it. I will do some more investigating before I say anything, so that I know what was wrong and know I'm talking about. user added image

# 5 24-10-2009 , 04:39 AM
Technical Director
Each vertex is assigned a unique vertex id. [0 to n-vertices]

Whenever you edit the model, cut faces, delete edges, etc, the vertex id is reassigned. This means that what was once vertex 27, could now be vertex 214.

When you try to import this back into zBrush, it looks at the old model, and tries to map the high definition detail back onto those specific id's. So if a vertex was on a hand in the original model, but on the new model, it's on the knee, you can see that there will be problems.

Once you import your obj into zBrush for the first time, DO NOT EDIT IT IN MAYA! You will break it!

With your problem, you should be able to fix it by creating a new canvas, and importing the base model from Maya. What it's trying to do right now, is it's mismatching the number of vertex id's. Say a model with 200 vertices, to a model with 178.

Hope this makes sense.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.