Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-03-2003 , 11:24 AM

nurbs?

I've just tried to render out a scene with mental ray that I created, the objects in the scene are nurbs. Through maya's renderer they appear nice and smooth but when I tried using mental ray they render out highly faceted, asthough it was rendering them at display level 1? I went through the documentation which suggests going through the Rendering>MentalRay>approximation editor, all the settings in here are dimed out and simply say "derive from Maya" which should mean mental ray will take the tessilation values I set up within maya but it doesn't? What going on? Any help would be great, Thanks

James.

# 2 02-04-2003 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
You use surface approximation editor if you have displacement maps only, if I am correct. Try to increase tesselation settting to highest Quality with smooth edge. Affect U and V tesselation attributes if necessary.

Hope it will help.

Cheers
Braam

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

www.wickedpixels.com/braam
# 3 03-04-2003 , 01:15 PM

thanks

Yeah I tried that and yes it did work, but there was still some wierd aliasing problems and I had the render globals set to production quality in the aliasing options??

This one's got me?

Thanks anyway!

# 4 04-04-2003 , 05:46 AM
Maybe a pict might help.

Otherwise you could try clicking the Enable Advanced Tesselation option "ON" in the NURBs Shape tab in the Advanced Tesselation section and setting the Number U and Number V attributes to 12 or more per object. This of course only affects the smoothness of objects and not their anti-aliasing.