Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-07-2008 , 02:41 AM

FX Challenge 02 WINNER!

Ok Folks!

After taking a look at the intent/rules of the challenge:

A Rube Goldberg machine, a contraption that takes very unnecessary lengths to achieve a very simple goal, I have decided that out of the 2 final entries that the entry that achieved all of that and more is:

elephantinc!!

sandman300 put up a great challenge entry as well!

Also, regarding Zel712's mouse trap, I would like to see it completed sometime.
Happymat27's contraption looks sweet as well, and I would love to see it completed toouser added image

So, congrats elephantinc!
Keep up the good work, and never doubt yourself bro!

Ok, I believe Mike will be taking back the reigns for the next challenge, so, until then, take care all and thanks to all the challengers!

rage

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com

# 2 13-07-2008 , 03:03 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
user added image
YAY!!
I really never expected this when i started this challenge

Thank you

Id also like to thank everyone who helped me along the way, you know who you are user added image

May i have a guess why it was me that won? Im geussing its because sandman300's machine didnt do anything in the end, am i right?

can i put my victory in my sig?user added image user added image user added image

# 3 13-07-2008 , 03:54 AM
Subscriber
congratulations elephantinc nice work...

I wish I was able to complete it, I had a great time working with my project and learning things I never even considered trying to learn before. Although I didn't even enter a final product this was a great learning experience, and was kind of looking forward to learning more fx from these challenges. And now that I know a bit about how to use dynamics I will try to take this same idea and spend more time on detail and maybe a bit more realism for a WIP sometime soon.

# 4 13-07-2008 , 04:00 AM

Originally posted by elephantinc
...can i put my victory in my sig?

Yes you canuser added image

And regarding why you were chosen, among other things, your shot completed the Rube Goldberg machine purpose of being: to take extraordinary lengths to achieve a simple actionable goal.

And your shot included even more as well that drove-home the purpose of why your ending action made senseuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 5 13-07-2008 , 04:45 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

# 6 13-07-2008 , 05:51 AM
I was not aware that we were supposed to have a final outcome in the animation. My impression by the rules was that the challenge was about dynamics.

The major point to this is that this is a SIMULATION! Active/Passive Rigid-Body, softbody, and nCloth DYNAMIC SIMULATIONS! Physics is the heart of the shot!

I asked if there was anything that I was missing.

Question , as far as the rules are concerned, are there any requirements that I have not filled?

Nah, I think you're ok.

Now your saying that I missed the point of the comp.user added image

If you said that his was just better than mine I'd bow to your wisdom but to infer that I did not follow the rules is deceitful and makes me feel cheated.

Life is a funny thing,
Beauty is a blossom,
If you want to get your finger bit...
Poke it at a Possum.

# 7 13-07-2008 , 07:05 AM

Originally posted by sandman300
I was not aware that we were supposed to have a final outcome in the animation.

Well, a Rube Goldberg machine does have a distinct end/means, and although as I said before your animation was great as well, your object did not complete its intent.

By this I mean, it did not perform it's function at the end, it simply landed and stopped.
(Very well I might add btwuser added image )

I asked if there was anything that I was missing.

And up to that point you were not missing anything. Had I known that was your final, I may have suggested to everyone that they all watch the sample videos again, but as the judge it would be unfair to the others if I helped you figure that out and not help anyone else. It was not anything personaluser added image

If you said that his was just better than mine I'd bow to your wisdom but to infer that I did not follow the rules is deceitful and makes me feel cheated.

Actually, nobody's shot was "better" than anyone elses. And, everyone did follow the rules, it is simply that in the end, your ball just stops. It doesn't complete it's intent by triggering some final action, like all Rube Goldberg machines do.

Please also keep in mind, as mods, we do this out of the kindness of our hearts for free, on our own time, so please, do not feel cheated.

There was nothing on the line, and everyone was able to learn somethinguser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com

# 8 13-07-2008 , 07:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Congrats the Elephantinc for a great entry on a difficult challenge.

With regards to Sandmans comments I have to say I agree with him .
Rage at no point in the rules does it say that the machine had to have an ultimate goal even if it is infered in the videos or everyone knows that a Rube G machine has a goal it was never stated as being a condition of the rules of entry so i feel it is unfair to suggest Sandmans entry is less of an entry because of this.

This is my personal opinion .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

# 9 13-07-2008 , 08:00 AM

in the end, your ball just stops. It doesn't complete it's intent by triggering some final action, like all Rube Goldberg machines do.

That is what I would call not following the rules.

Please also keep in mind, as mods, we do this out of the kindness of our hearts for free, on our own time, so please, do not feel cheated.

Really, I'm not getting payed either, I'm also posting on a cite where I know before hand that no one will be able to help me with any technical issues, but I ask 1 question about the rules and you conveniently decide that you want to be fair to the others. All I was asking for is a clarification of the rules, I wasn't asking you to help me or tell me what to do. I take part in these comps because I find that the challenge helps me learn more in the application. And the deadline helps too.

This is not about winning or loosing, I don't care about that. In fact, Congratulations, elephantinc, job well done. This is about pride, and disqualification, due to non completion of task.

I feel cheated because I was misled (by you) into believing that i had in fact completed all parts of the task.

Life is a funny thing,
Beauty is a blossom,
If you want to get your finger bit...
Poke it at a Possum.

# 10 13-07-2008 , 02:12 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
*Cough* Sore Loser /*Cough* ..... Next time let us know your coming to compete in a competition ahead of time, and we'll arrange to have several Maya Master all flown into one location to walk you through your entry. AND We will take out a bank loan, and pay you amply for your time.
As well as that, I will personally team up with the Mods, and rig the next comp just for you.... Not really! (for some reason I felt I would have to clarify that)

Get over it!

Nice work and congrats elephantinc!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

# 11 13-07-2008 , 09:47 PM
Thanks to all participants!

See you next timeuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long