Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 26-04-2004 , 07:59 PM
Subscriber
I'd look sad too if I had to carry those boobs around all day...Hihi. Nice work sofar!

# 32 02-05-2004 , 03:12 PM
I have done more work on the head. Suggestions on how to improve it would be great. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 07-05-2004 , 11:21 PM
Here is an update to the head. I connected her ear, but the head seems a little wide now. Perhaps I will do the feet and take a break on the head for now. Any suggestions? She still looks off to me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 09-05-2004 , 05:45 AM
Very nice model so far, contrast! There are a few things I noticed on the head, though. For one thing, it is too elongated in the back, perhaps because the head in the back needs to be a little more rounded towards the bottom in the back. Also, the forehead should come more forward, since it seems to slant back too much. I looked at the photos you were going by, and her forehead protrudes out more. Hope this helps! user added image

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)

Last edited by CGPMaya84; 09-05-2004 at 04:07 PM.
# 35 09-05-2004 , 11:27 AM
Thanks CGPMaya84 for the reply! I will check out those comments. I have actually moved away from modeling my original reference for the head since I don't have a high quality image of her, instead I am now using some images of Uma Thurman, Nikki Cox, and other random models I can find to try and get a generic head. Perhaps I should try to find a couple of good references of one model and stick with them. Thanks again for the comments, other people's interest is helping me continue on.

# 36 09-05-2004 , 11:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hi Contrast

Well I think its going well but there are a few bits I reckon you could really make even better. I've had a bit of a tinker with your pics and also bought in your reference too on the profile and drawn some lines where I think you need to watch where stuff lines up on the head, distances of the mouth being behind the nose etc. This is basically the same for most people. I will attach some more reference for you that is clearer so you can see a bit better too. I hope this helps you along the way

Jango

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Jay; 09-05-2004 at 11:38 AM.
# 37 10-05-2004 , 01:45 PM
Thank you very much Jango for the time you put into your comments. I went ahead and tried some of your adivce, expecially regarding the eye placement. Well, I have been staring at her head long enough, I think I have it to a good enough spot for what I am looking for. Now I am going to start on the feet. I am looking forward to then texturing this, as it will be my first time dealing with UVs in detail. Here is a pic of where I have left the head.

Attached Images
# 38 29-05-2004 , 01:38 PM
Wow, almost 2000 views on this thread. I really need to get going on it. I have been side tracked by a photoshop project, which just so happens to be in the WIP in simplyphotoshop.com, here's a link:
https://forum.simplyphotoshop.com/sho...5&pagenumber=1

Here is the foot I have so far. I have started adding detail to the large toe. I have some better quality reference images so that is helping, as well as glancing down at my own feet. I am finding this is taking a bit longer than the hand simply because I have done a lot of traditional drawing pieces involving hands, but none on feet, so I don't know the anatomy as well. Comments, suggestions, and crits are always welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 39 29-05-2004 , 06:47 PM
the big toe has some crazy distortion on it, you might wanna pull some of them verts out and get a nicer shape. also the other toes seem to be random in size, look at your foot and kinda model it on that. toes are kinda wide and flat, you've put them high and the width really tight. it's looking cool tho man.

# 40 29-05-2004 , 07:53 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Contrast,

I agree with Zykotik, but you are almost there. this is weird I,ve been working on a foot too this evening, still needs some pulling around though, have look ....

Jango

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Jay; 29-05-2004 at 07:57 PM.
# 41 30-05-2004 , 05:59 AM
hah, you know why theres been 2000 views right? lol most of thats guys coming back every few minutes to look at those magnificant juevos! :-D By the way, nice foot jango. Keep Up the great work Contrast i cant wait to see the final picture... perhaps with clothes? ;-)

# 42 30-05-2004 , 11:59 PM
WOW!
you'r doing great! I can't wait to see the final result user added image

Watch The Master, Follow The Master, Be The Master.
# 43 31-05-2004 , 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments, I took them to heart and I have been working on the foot a good deal. Here is what I have so far, I have also added a good deal of shape to the bottom of the foot, not shown here because I wanted to get an overall look of it, I am trying to model the foot how it looks when not pressed against the ground.

I think I might join it to the ankle soon, any suggestions before I do that? Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 31-05-2004 , 06:55 PM
Subscriber
The foot is much, much better now, althought the big toe looks a bit skinny twoards the end.
Good work and keep at it.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 45 03-06-2004 , 01:11 AM
After having some success on the toe nails, I decided to add finger nails.

Attached Thumbnails