Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 14-11-2004 , 04:11 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Contrast

Hi to RC and Kerosene by the way.

This is a Vast improvment to say the very least. You have done what Murph did on the September challenge and turned yourself around 360 degrees, great job. There is one area however I will point out that does need attention and thats the nose alignment with the cheek and mouth area. I have drawn a little on yours to show you in comparison. Its one of those things that crops up a lot when people model faces. But its never easy when you're trying to model a human being because we always notice the little things that make us what we are, so we'll spot a fake a mile off.

I know this sounds really sad, but ever since I started doing people in 3d I have found myself constantly looking at people to find the right things that make us. Despite our varying appearances we are all the same at the end of the day in dimensions, ie: 5 eyes width across the head, ears start at the brow top and end just blow the nose and upper lip etc. Anyway best of luck with the rest, I look forward to the end result dude.

Regards to all
_J

oh and theres a couple of updates on my site for those who are interested

Attached Thumbnails
# 77 14-11-2004 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
Good call Jango, not one i've noticed before. I know exactly what u mean about looking at people. I'm currently on exchange in Canada and there's so many different ppl from so many different cultures, it helped to improve my modelling no end! user added image There's nothing like live reference!

# 78 14-11-2004 , 06:51 PM
Subscriber
Hey Jango, not seen you around much lately user added image
L0l I can just imadgine you and Kerosene staring at random people and scaring the hell out of some old woman user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 79 14-11-2004 , 08:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey RC

Well I have been in looking but not too many comments at the moment as I am soooooooo busy on my project, time is precious at the moment. I have another character coming up soon so I'll post then. I must say though the work here is really coming up,
( I dont wish to sound patronising when I say this) but it really is, its like everyone has stepped up a gear in the last couple of months. Apart from study faces etc, also sorting out skin using SubSurface Scattering techniques!! Veeerrry coooll!!!

Anyway mustn't waste somebody elses post

See you soon dudes

_J

# 80 14-11-2004 , 10:14 PM
pretty impressiv...!!!

but in my point of view it looks more than a child and not like a woman, don't know why.
Maybe the lips are a bit to small... but iam not sure..

# 81 15-11-2004 , 03:21 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone, I will have to adjust the nose, thanks for pointing that out Jango. Well, I went ahead and made the eye texture and I also modeled the eye. I modeled the eye in nurbs following this tutorial:

https://users.tinyworld.co.uk/steven_...tic_Eye_01.htm

and I made the texture you see below following this tutorial: (deviating a bit from the tut)

https://www.3dtotal.com/team/tutorial..._eyetex_01.asp

The second is from an amazing artist who I am sure many of you already know of. For those that don't here is his website.

https://www.antropus.com/index.html

(It's great finding so many talented people who's work just put you in awe)

vietcong: as long as she doesn't look like a man I am happy user added image

Kerosene: I will give the scaling a try to make her front look as good as her side, thanks for the tip

RubberChicken: Thanks for the encouragement dude

Next I will try to adjust the face some more before I try to tackle applying the textures to the eye.

Attached Images
# 82 15-11-2004 , 07:43 AM
Wow. I sculpt actual model figures, and a lot of the same techniques apply there as well. (Unfortunately I've always wanted to start CG but never got the chance.) In my sculpting experience I've been fortunate to meet many world-class modelers. What they have said, and this is definitely true, that people always look like who they are supposed to be based on their hairstyle. When I am trying to make a specific character, there is so much you can do for the shape of the face, but if you get the hair just right anybody can recognize that person. Its a little easier for me because I do smaller scales, but once you put some hair on, your figure will always look a lot more feminine. I've annyoed my friends and family to no end asking them to stand still so I can see the shape of their eyes and noses, but it all helps. Try to look around you whenever possible. Great job everyone.

# 83 15-11-2004 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by MinasTirithGuard
Unfortunately I've always wanted to start CG but never got the chance.

U can get a free version of maya, known as the personal learning edition, from the alias website. It renders with a watermark across the image, but its a start user added image Then its time to have a play, althougth I would recommend having a look at some tutorials, the ones here on simplymaya are fantastic.

Another piece of software u mite enjoy is Zbrush, again its possible to get a free version. Its a scuplting package, and i know a few real modellers find the transition to zbrush an enjoyable one.

Come on in and join the fun!

As for contrast, well done on impressing this guy! and all of us user added image