Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-03-2004 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber

Total Game Modding Newbie questions...

I would like to try out what I have learned in Maya in creating game mods. However, I have absolutely no idea how this is done.... so a bunch of questions for you:

(1) What is a good (ideally recent) game that would accept new characters, levels, weapons, props, and so on?

(2) Apart from owning the game, what else do I need to get my Maya models into the game so that I can see them in action?

(3) Can you recommend any good websites where I can download the necessary guides and resources?

As always, thanks in advance! user added image

EDIT: I tend to prefer First-Person-Shooter type games although very rarely ever play them... let alone buy them.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 08-03-2004 , 02:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'm not that experienced in modding myself, but if I understand correctly, the latest Unreal is a good modding game.

www.polycount.com probably has better info than I do, though.

# 3 08-03-2004 , 02:43 PM
Subscriber
Perfect link! It has everything I need... including tuts on how to integrate stuff.

Thanks.

# 4 09-03-2004 , 08:39 PM
Also, quake3 Arena is great toouser added image

Export as obj from Maya, import into Milkshape, export as .map or .md3, import into gtkRadiant level ed.

www.mapcenter.com

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 11-03-2004 , 04:55 PM
questions to expert noobie's

# 6 11-03-2004 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ragecgi

Export as obj from Maya, import into Milkshape, export as .map or .md3, import into gtkRadiant level ed.

www.mapcenter.com

I would assume that the pipeline you describe is almost identical with Call of Duty, which I have decided I would like to have a go at modding. CoD also uses the Quake-III engine and I already have a CoD variant of the Radiant application downloaded.

I've not heard of Milkshape... I'll check it out on Google and see what I find.

# 7 13-03-2004 , 06:26 AM

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 13-03-2004 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
Hey Rich,I do a little Moding if you have any Questions, If you need a Plugin to export to UT2003 HERE'S a site that will help.it's what Im useing for now Untill Mr.Mike comes out with his bookuser added image

# 9 13-03-2004 , 02:15 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh, if my book proposal gets picked up, it won't go over modding. It'll mostly be a guide to general game production focusing on the development practices of the art department and the book will be geared toward the entry-level artist and the game artist wannabe's out there.

# 10 13-03-2004 , 03:20 PM

Originally posted by ragecgi

www.mapcenter.com

As you may know I am currently doing a player model for Quake 3 Arena. I'm using the .md3 exporter which I found at www.quakerally.com. It's a bit buggy and has some anomalies but it works. Just save your scene every time before you export. They have compiled the plugin only for Maya 4.5 and older but the source code is available too and you can compile it using the Maya 5 devkit (which I did).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 11 13-03-2004 , 04:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
heh, if my book proposal gets picked up, it won't go over modding. It'll mostly be a guide to general game production focusing on the development practices of the art department and the book will be geared toward the entry-level artist and the game artist wannabe's out there.

user added image AAwww,,poopuser added image

# 12 15-03-2004 , 05:53 AM
I'm sure 3dbuzz.com will help you immensily for this. There are many many free video tutorials there for how to do modding for unreal tournament. Although many of the concepts can still be applied to any game.