Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-11-2002 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber

Gnomon dvd

Hello all,

Did anybody try the gnomon dvd trainings?? I'm thinking of getting a couple of those nurbs and polygon modeling...since learning visually makes it easier then reading just a book....Any comments of it? Right now i just finished an intro to maya, a 8 week (50hrs) class wich i think is not enough...and starting another 8 week in intro character animation...I saw the thread on the november competition and one of the gentleman, bulletman...i forgot his nick...did a mech wasp..which was awesome....i try to learn from the pictures but didn't know what tools to use...so that's why i was thinking of getting the dvds...
Any comments or advice will be greatfull....

Thank you all

# 2 22-11-2002 , 08:32 AM
Kevin
sorry mate, cant comment as I havnt seen them... I think its like anything...some think they rule...others dont

But im sure you will get some feedback as There are a few people here who have spoke of them before

# 3 22-11-2002 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
I purchased the texturing DVD from Alias|Wavefront a few weeks ago and it was horrible. Too much talk and not enough work. He piddled around way too much. Wasted money basically. Just last night I loaded up two of the Gnomon Quicktime videos and they were unbelievable! One was around 32 minutes while the other one was 15 I believe. Talk about progress. I've never seen anyone move so fast in a tutorial. He obviously knew exactly what he was talking about because he knew exactly what he was going to do in the tutorial and moved around real quick like. I will deffinently be buying a few of those. The only problem I see is that it might not be suitable for people who are new to Maya. Most of the stuff he does is through hotkeys, so you can't watch where he goes in the menu to do something. I would recomend finding some simpler tutorials, studying them, get more familiar with Maya, then buy Gnomon's DVD work. Joining the VIP section here is a good way to accomplish this seeing as how most of their tutorials are aimed at either beginners or "intermediate" Maya users and because Simple Maya has such an abundance of them. There is a free tut section on the site, so check it out if your interested.

# 4 22-11-2002 , 02:01 PM
Subscriber
I love my gnomon vids. I have them on tape not dvd as they were having a vhs blow out sale. (they are all going to dvd)
I got nurbs modeling 1-2 ploy modeloing 1 skinning 1-3 dynamics 2. Heyand they were only $20.00 each got 7 for $140.00:banana:

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 5 22-11-2002 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber

thanks for the reply

Yeah, i saw on the gnomon site they were like $20.00 for the vhs, i rather prefer dvd since you can point a certain spot and work watch at your own computer...but they on a pricey side...To anyone that needs also a free visual tutorial is the ************************* great recording and the author speaks clearly he's selling 4 cd sets for only $45.00 it's a bargain. From their free quicktime video tutorials, they are very helpful....Back to gnomon dvd...the reason is that i like the the projects are that they put out for the teaching, like the nurbs and polygon modeling(bathtub, frogs, ship..etc...) ...Since i myself..can't draw..and translate into 3d environment, i thought visually watching the videos will help me get through on navigating which tools they use and how they apply it....and also practice, practice...

Last edited by strykernet; 22-11-2002 at 04:11 PM.
# 6 22-11-2002 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
You can always do what I do. I stream the movie into my computer using a Dazzle DCS200 which converts analog to DV on the fly then use Showtime by arc and convert to DVD compatable
and then use dazzle complete plus and burn to dvd can ad chapter points and much more.

Here is a link for a screen shot of a movie I did for my parents

https://www.joes3dsite.com/dvdscreenshot.htm

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 7 22-11-2002 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
I own 2 DVDs from Gnomon workshop (nurbs 2 and 3) and believe me, they're worth it and even for me, a frenchman, it is quite easy to follow...

Today man, tomorrow bird...i already have the plumage
# 8 22-11-2002 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
3djoe: Yeah, that's one way to do it =)

Yeah, i'll probably go for the dvd's and videos...even though i thought of taking classes at gnomon(which is quite pricey) did you guys ever heard of www.studioarts.tv? I was thinking of taking the character animation class, even though i know i should learn modeling first....they are a bit cheaper...i think ($925.00) and there are 2 instructors teaching at the same time for that class (John Park (3d instructor) from novalogic i think ) and ((2D) Instructor James ...?? forgot his last name that works in Disney(who was part of Lion King, Pocahondas, etc..)