Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-11-2006 , 06:30 AM

What books...

Could you guys help me with what books are good to learn about 3d desgin, 2d design (meaning any type of design, character, car, and so forth), maya 8 books on animation. Mostly just some books that give you a clear view on design and animation basics. Thanks guys!!!

# 2 14-11-2006 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
:attn:
Just got Mike's book "The Game Animator's Guide To Maya".
It's a great book and I heartily recommend it - like all of Mike's work. Excellent value.

If you haven't visited already, have a look at https://www.mtmckinley.net The tutorial section has 20 odd tutes. If you like these, you'll love this book.

Oh, one last thing - Whenever I want programming books, I go to the closest university and look in their second-hand book shop. I don't remember the last time I saw a (second-hand) 3d book here in Melbourne, but I'd be surprised if we even had animation and modelling courses at the university I visited. It's worth a try if the finances are limited and the effort of checking out said venue is not too great.

Regards, and good luck.

Last edited by enhzflep; 14-11-2006 at 11:24 PM.
# 3 15-11-2006 , 09:23 AM
Senior Software Developer
It depends on what you want to do do with 3D, that would depend on any recommendations we could do.

For foundation work my recommendation would be Alias Foundation Book. Covers the basics of modelling and animation etc...

Maya 8 - https://www.digitalriver.com/dr/sat5/...DE=&CACHE_ID=0
Maya 7 - https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Maya-.../dp/1894893743 (US)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learning-May.../dp/1894893743 (UK)

Beyond that get hold of a book that is specific to the trade you want to do with 3D. Mikes books for games (he has 2 published) are very good.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 15-11-2006 , 09:29 AM
For me, I think that one of the most helpfull books I've got has been Maya 6 - The complete reference, it covers pretty much everything, some of the tutorials leave a bit to be desired (they seem to miss bots) but the theory is all there.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 18-11-2006 , 12:48 PM

thanks...

Thanks guys Ill check out all the options.... Thanks again for your help!!!

# 6 20-11-2006 , 01:48 AM
Mastering Maya 7
You can get it from amazon.com too.

# 7 05-12-2006 , 01:51 PM
There are tons of maya books. I personally own like 5 of the official alias maya books. Learning maya foundation books for me have been amazing. They just show you the basics of lighting, modeling, animation, rigging, etc. it takes a little time but oh man is it worth it in the long run.

# 8 07-12-2006 , 03:46 AM
I personally would try to get some DVD's. With me i tend to learn alot more and faster this way.

# 9 07-12-2006 , 06:15 PM
Have any of you read The Art of Maya? I was thinking it would be a good place to start, but I'd like your opinions.

# 10 07-12-2006 , 06:37 PM
Senior Software Developer
The Art of Maya, is as it says a book of Art created by Maya and its Masters, very little tute work in it.

If it is a book you want get Learning Maya : Foundation, this covers all the basics. On a Vid Tute grab Kurts Toon Dog Tute from here (it's free).

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 07-12-2006 at 06:44 PM.