Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-02-2007 , 04:44 AM
Subscriber

Material ID's

How do you assign material ID's in maya? Thanks

# 2 20-02-2007 , 10:35 AM
Subscriber
I'm guessin' you've made the transition from Max?

Maya doesn't really have an analogue to Material IDs, as far as I know. You just select the desired faces, hold the right mouse button on the material in the Hypershade and select Assign Material to Selection. Or, in the case that you wanna apply it to the whole object, you can just drag the material from the Hypershade onto your object with the middle mouse button.

Then, of course you can can always assign a material from inside a panel, by holding the right-button, going down the pop-up menu till you get to Materials then select Assign New Material or Assign Esisting Material.

If this isn't particularly helpfull, just let us know what you're trying to do and I'll do what I can to give you a better, more concise description of the necessary steps.

-Simon.

# 3 20-02-2007 , 10:36 AM
remembering way back when i used to use 3dsmax, i believe that in maya you want to UV map your current model. creating a new material for each portion you want to texture helps, but after laying out your UVs you can more clearly pinpoint where what texture needs to go where... although keep in mind my last experience with 3dsmax was version 3.0... i dabbled in 4.1 but not nearly enough to get comfortable with procedural texturing.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 20-02-2007 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
thanks for the quick replies user added image. I know how to apply textures in Maya, but I do it in my world editor (3d world studio) because when imported from maya the item isn't textured. The reason I need to do this is because in my world editor when the object is selected, the entire object is selected as one mesh (grouped or not; combined or separated). So therefore only one texture can be applied in 3dws. Somebody in the 3dws forums told me that he is able to select multiple subobjects on his objects by assigning material ID's during export. Unfortunately he uses Max so didn't know how to do it in maya. thanks

Last edited by hankenb; 20-02-2007 at 02:59 PM.