Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-07-2007 , 10:05 PM

Rendering shadow/reflection but not the plane itself

Ok. So I have an object that's lying on a plane, casting a nice shadow - or creating a nice reflection. I want to use the finished image on the web.

But, we have a catch 22 here. In order for Maya to render a shadow or a reflection, it needs to render the entire plane beneath the object, meaning that there won't be an alpha channel, meaning that I can't use the resulting image on any background.

So, how do I render only the shadow/reflection on a surface and not the surface itself? Can it even be done? I want the shadow to be a part of the alpha channel, so it can be used on any background. Ditto for a reflection.

Is it possible?

--
Sandman[.net]
# 2 25-07-2007 , 10:36 PM
Dont thinnk you can for refelctions, I usualy do a refelction pass sepperate with all objects set to 100% refelctive, each object on a sepperate layer and then render and compsisite.

You should have an option to render just the shadows in the render layers options.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 25-07-2007 , 11:35 PM
Gster: Dont drink at noon! user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 26-07-2007 at 05:06 AM.
# 4 26-07-2007 , 12:25 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Use the backgroundshaderuser added image

# 5 26-07-2007 , 03:33 AM
or just check off primary visibility in the render options of the object.

i think that will work

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com