Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-01-2003 , 06:42 AM

help!!

I am brand new to Maya. I mean i got it this after noon. I can't not figure out how to take, a jpg fo instance, and use it as a "Material"

If I can't do that then I can't use my Photo schop skillz in my 3d art. HELP!

# 2 09-01-2003 , 06:57 AM
First of all, welcome to SM! This is a great place to hang out to learn Maya.

OK, now on to business. The best thing for you to do is press F1 on your keyboard and go through the help files. There are some great tutorials that come with Maya to get you going. The help files are searchable as well, so you can track down specific information at needed.

Best of luck to you!

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 09-01-2003 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
To answer your question, though - Right-click your object, choose material>assign new material>lambert. A window will pop up. You see that checkered box to the right of the colour slider? click that. Another window pops up. Here, you can assign various textures to the object. One of them is "file." Click it. In the window that is before you now, click the folder icon and browse for the jpeg you want. Click Close, press 6 to display textures, and you're done.

You'll probably want to modify the texture somehow to fit your object (unless it is a simple plane), but I'll wait for your next question should you have one.

# 4 09-01-2003 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
Welocome to simply maya,

Dont fret, Maya is so powerful it can even use some movies as textures. I'm sure you will find that maya exceeds all your needs. It is the industry standard and holding strong in that spot because it delievers such outstanding results. You will find that your skills in photoshop will prove useful.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 09-01-2003 , 10:14 PM
user added image

This is what i get. i looked for a "File" before. nothen there. (v. 4.5 unlimited.)

# 6 09-01-2003 , 10:18 PM

YAY

A HA! I found it! yay.

I am now having a problem with the lights im placing, only effecting the image in the proggy, not when i render it.

Last edited by Ultragames; 09-01-2003 at 11:43 PM.