Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-11-2008 , 06:06 PM

Poly turned black....

Hi all. Maya 8.5, Precision 690, 2 gig RAM, OS XP-Pro

OK, I made a poly which has been working fine, all quads, then sent it in to ZBrush to do some texturing. Then I brought the mesh back in to Maya using the usual protocols for exporting meshes between the two.

Suddenly after importing this obj back in to Maya, the poly now appears in the hardware view as though it has a black colored blinn for a shader, even though the hyper shade shows it doesn't.

Changing the assigned shader changes nothing, nor can I find any errant nodes in the hypergraph to account for this.

Can't find anything wrong with normals or anything else to explain why the poly displays this black color.

Anyone know how to fix?

Thanks, T

# 2 18-11-2008 , 06:22 PM
Press '6' on the keyboard to view the object textured.
It might work. if not, post a screenshot of the hypershade network.
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 18-11-2008 , 07:15 PM
here's some screen shots of hypershade graphed connections and hypergraph as well

Attached Images
# 4 18-11-2008 , 07:18 PM
another shot, this is the hypergrah with input and out put connections.

Attached Images
# 5 18-11-2008 , 09:12 PM
try reversing the normals on the object. if it's not that, make sure that it's not set to use no lights in your panel's lighting menu.

# 6 18-11-2008 , 09:18 PM
Hi. That was it. I could have sworn I'd already checked the normal direction, but I guess I hadn't. Thanks very much.

My best, Tristan