Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-04-2006 , 03:08 AM

Second License

Hello

At the moment I have maya 6.5 Complete installed on my PC. I am on the verge of buying a laptop and I am hoping to install maya on to this second computer. I have read on SM that to do this I would need to buy a second license from Alias / Autodesk which will cost about $150.

My question is, if I install maya on to my laptop will I be able to run maya on both computers at the same time so that my girlfriend and I can both work? If I understand correctly, a dongle would be no good as it only lets you use maya on the computer it is plugged into.

Any help is much appreciated. Cheers user added image

# 2 03-04-2006 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
Hi Arran,

the only way to run Maya on two machines at the same time is to have two seperate licences. Just been through this scenario, and ended up getting a new licence.

cheers,
mic

# 3 03-04-2006 , 08:18 PM
Hi Mic - thanks for replying. user added image

so does that mean you had to buy a second copy of maya, or can you buy just a second license for your existing copy? Sorry, I'm new to this and it's kind of confusing.

I spoke to alias and I think they said I need a floating license which I have to get from my vendor (Boxx), but I have yet to hear back from them.

Arran

# 4 03-04-2006 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
No probs Arran,

yeah, I got a new copy of Maya. Being an educational buyer this worked out the best way for me.
As I understand it a second licence for your existing copy would amount to the same, in terms of the damage to your pocket.
A floating licence would work, but might be the most expensive way of doing it. Not entirely sure there.....

Its a question of maths.

Good luck,
mic

# 5 03-04-2006 , 09:47 PM
Hi Mic,

Thanks for your help mate - It's much appreciated.

I certainly can't afford to purchase another copy of maya. I am not a student and so I can't get it for cheap. I am wondering if it's possible to upgrade my single node license to a floating license.... Or if it's possible to use two dongles so we can both work at once. What a headache.

Thanks again.

Arran

Last edited by arran; 03-04-2006 at 09:49 PM.