Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 106 05-08-2007 , 07:06 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
"perhaps making the white tiles slightly more so than the green ones."
I did'nt mean that, i meant that you make certain parts of the floor more specular than other parts.
Maybe you could do an occlusion-pass, to bring out the bump some more.

# 107 08-08-2007 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
Helo again,

I'm slowly getting there with the hospital ward, here's an update. I've made some bed lamps, the one in the image is the only one to be lit, a character will be reading a book by it as DEATH walks past.

There are patient charts at the foot of each bed, the walls, chairs, curtains, window frames, doors and bedside trolleys are now textured and I've played around with the floor shader a little more (added noise to the specular colour, adjusted the bump maps a touch).

Once I have the main part of the ward done I'll be spending some time drawing out the storyboard and designing/building a couple more characters, I have an idea of where I'd like to be before university starts again but I not too sure that I'm going to get there!

Anyway hope you all like it,

Mat.

edit: Woo-Hoo 1000 posts, does this mean that I spend too much time at my computer?

Attached Thumbnails
# 108 08-08-2007 , 07:46 AM
very nice progression with the ward scene matt, its really coming together well.
that shader network looked damn scary to me (still dont know much about that side of things)

keep up the good work user added image
Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 109 08-08-2007 , 07:50 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Great shading and lighting, keep it upuser added image

# 110 09-08-2007 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
It's me again!

Cheers for the comments, they're always appreciated.

Si: I'm not too sure how that network got so big! I was originally going to make the texture in Photoshop but somewhere along the line I got carried away in Hypershade and Bob's-yer-uncle I have a procedural texture that does the job.

I've made a start on the equipment around Nells bed, today I've made the monitormatic, I've also made a defibrelator but not it's not textured yet.

The screens are just still .jpg images at the moment, I may animate them later but I think that I'm going to wait and see how things turn out first.

Let me know what you rekon,

cheers,

Mat.

user added image

# 111 11-08-2007 , 02:54 AM
looking good Mat!

Did you get my e-mail?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 112 11-08-2007 , 05:23 AM
Yeah - coming along nicely mat - i'm itching to find out what the story is... all in good time i suppose. user added image

Ha ha - yeah that shading network gave me a scare too - texturing is not my friend!

# 113 11-08-2007 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber
Thanks fellas.

Steve: yeah, I got your mail, I've been a bit busy with the kids to write back but your advice is much appreciated. I think that things will be a bit different for me as I'm doing a BA (hons), more arty than sciency, so I'll find out exactly what I need to do from my tutor when I get back to university. I rekon I may still need to bug you for a little more advice though!!

Arran: all in good time..... I've got what will amount to the intro and around ninety seconds completely sorted on paper (written) and in my head (images), I just need to get down and draw the storyboard now!! I know exactly what happens next but I need to think some more about it before I commit it to paper.

I'll have some updates soon.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 114 11-08-2007 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
i've just finished my final year at university so i know what your about to go through:attn:

just some helpful advice plan things out and keep your animation simple, trust me you save yourself a lot of trouble:headbang:

anyway good luck and all the best

# 115 11-08-2007 , 10:18 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice Jali and well done for getting through your course, I hope you got the results that you were after.

I don't think that the actual animation side of things is going to be too bad for this project (crosses fingers), I rekon I should be OK providing I get all of this prep work done before I go back to university.

Incidently, what university course did you just finish and where?

Here's an update, well it's not really so much an update as a "let's see if things work together" image. I dropped Nell and DEATH into the scene, roughly posed them and hit the render button, this is the result....

user added image

I rather like the way it's turned out, perhaps it's a bit dark but I can work on that. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the way that the characters work together and with the set.

I've still got plenty to do so I'd better crack on! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 116 11-08-2007 , 12:48 PM
I'm starting to guess some of the story to this but will keep my mouth shut just in case I'm miles out user added image
keep up the good work Mat

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 117 12-08-2007 , 02:37 AM
Hi Matt,

this is looking fantastic. Wondered, how do you attatch 2 bump maps and a normal map in Maya? Is it just a matter of creating them then connecting them via the hypershade to the material, or is there a technique to use? I'm creating assets for a project just now, but have got a lot to learn about shader networks.

Thanks,

Gubar

# 118 12-08-2007 , 05:35 AM
Subscriber
Si: Go on, take a guess it'll be interesting to see if I've given anything away.

Gubar: If you think of a shading network as lots of different shaders joined together to give a specific result it makes it much easier to see how you can have moe than one bump map attached to the final material. I've attached a very simple diagram to illustrate this.

Take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 119 13-08-2007 , 10:51 AM
Thanks matt,

good to see how the network operates. Need to take a look into layered textures.

thanks,

gubar

# 120 15-08-2007 , 05:14 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

I decided to take a break from the hospital set today and have a bit of fun.

I was thinking about an intro, the kind of thing that says "I made this" so I came up with THIS. It's around 1.6Meg, right click and save if you want otherwise just let it stream.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails