Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 121 15-08-2007 , 07:02 AM
hahaha, like it mat!!

Currently trying to get my Pirate all together, turning out to be a paint in the backside!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 122 15-08-2007 , 07:09 AM
ha ha ha - awesome! user added image user added image

# 123 15-08-2007 , 09:31 AM
hehe, so you're gonna be stomping all over pixar in years to come eh? user added image

I'm guessing the story has something to do with the girl being in hospital with a very serious illness. Death comes in to see her (a bit like terry pratchett's death) awaiting the outcome. She then regresses back to fun days with the balloon etc - but then I get a bit lost user added image
Might not be anywhere near your idea but I had to try user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 124 15-08-2007 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
Cheers folks,

Steve: are you avoiding proper work too, join the club! Good luck with your pirate.

Si: In my dreams! As for your take on the story.... pretty far from the mark I'm afraid, good on ya for taking a guess though.

I've really got to start drawing up the storyboard, get these images out of my head and onto paper. I know that, once I start, I'll really enjoy it but right now it seems a pretty mammoth task.

On another note, I've succesfully avoided what I should be doing so far today by adding sound and a little extra to my intro...

Click THIS LINK to take a look.

Enjoy,

Mat.

# 125 25-08-2007 , 07:45 PM
Subscriber
Alright,

it's been a few days since I did anything proper on this project and I thought I'd better get back into it.

The last thing I made for this was the Breath-O-Matic, so (choosing something easy to do) I decided to attach a couple of blendshapes and use SDK to animate the bellow action. It's still not complete as I need to apply some sort of tubing coming out of the front of it but I'm getting there!

I also made a start on sketching the story board (at last!), there's a long way to go before I'll be displaying that though!

Click THIS to see the test animation.

Any thoughts are always welcome.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 126 26-08-2007 , 01:12 PM
Hey Mat,

You wouldnt believe how much that scared me, I literally jumped about a foot off the couch!

I was watchin tv waiting for it to download and it started playing!! hahaha!

Looks good my friend, looking forward to seeing how it comes together!

I really need to start to animate more, I'm a lazy animator, i'll try to get the dynamics system/simple scripts to do most of the work!

I might take my pirate model (in the challenge forum,shameless plug!) and then have a crack making some blend shapes for him.

Another thing is I cant believe that unis summers holidays pretty much over with where did it go??? Although I still have to go in I can take a bit of time off.

edit - Just thought if you made the needles move on the dials that would look superb, maybe use an animated texture?

Cheers

Steve

# 127 30-08-2007 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
Ha Ha,

I'm glad it caused a reaction!

Yeah the summer's gone pretty quickly this year, my older daughter year old goes back to school on Monday!

I've left this alone for a few days now so I thought I'd better make a little effort. Basically I've posed Nell in bed and modeled the oxygen mask and tubes. I'll be making a blend shape so that her chest moves with the breath-O-matic bellows.

You should have a play with blendshapes Steve, I find them pretty fun albeit a little tedious if you're doing a full face! I've been thinking about animated textures for all of the instrument readouts, it's just a case of getting around to it, plenty of time yet (I wish!).

Here's an image to go with my ramble......

user added image

All thoughts are always welcome.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 128 30-08-2007 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
Okily-Dokily,

here's a quick update...

I had to replace the blendshapes on the breath-O-matic as I lost them somewhere along the way but that was no biggy, I also made a breathing blendshape to move Nell's chest and the sheet then attached them all with an SDK.

I've also made an executive decision on Nell's look, see if you can tell what it is.

Anyway, click THIS (approx 450K) to see how it looks (don't worry Steve, no sound this time!!), render time is getting a bit heavy for regular updates now so I'm having to resort to playblast for this.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 129 31-08-2007 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

here's today's update.

Leaving the ward to one side, I thought I'd make this little guy today. He's a simple poly model, with a couple of SDK's to control the wing open/close and flap attributes.

I've made a quick test animation which you can watch HERE (approx 520kb), it's nothing special just me testing the controls.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 130 31-08-2007 , 08:00 AM
Nice going mat, you going to add the animation to some instanced particles, round a light?

# 131 31-08-2007 , 08:10 AM
Subscriber
Neat idea Steve,

but he's actually the star of the intro sequence. I'm not going to say any more about it for now though exept that hopefully it'll all turn out how I imagine it!!

Cheers,

Mat.

# 132 31-08-2007 , 08:13 AM
ha ha - excellent bug mat!

I like the breathing test too, though I thought the movement on nell was a bit subtle and too concentrated on the upper half - i feel like the her stomach would lift up slightly too.

that's a really minor crit though - this looking cool! user added image user added image

oh, and is it the color of nell's hair?

# 133 31-08-2007 , 08:16 AM

Originally posted by happymat27
Neat idea Steve,

but he's actually the star of the intro sequence. I'm not going to say any more about it for now though exept that hopefully it'll all turn out how I imagine it!!

Cheers,

Mat.

Cool

Like the feather in Forrest Gump???

# 134 31-08-2007 , 08:17 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Arran,

the blendshapes will be easy to sort out for the breathing and no it's not her hair (that was a joke wasn't it?).

Take it easy,

Mat.

edit: Yeah, just like the feather Steve, spot on.

Last edited by happymat27; 31-08-2007 at 08:20 AM.
# 135 01-09-2007 , 08:22 PM
Subscriber
Hello all,

I've been thinking about howI'd like the whole intro sequence to look and have decided that I wan a mixture of 2D and 3D like my Lenny the Cat animation or the original padington bear television series. I originally wanted to use this style for the intro to the Tell Tale Heart but ran out of time before I could implement it.

I drew the hospital in Sketchbook Pro and coloured it and made the alpha in Photoshop. The building and the inside are rendered seperately and have been put together in photoshop (I'll be using AE for the animation).

There's loads of stuff I need to draw....trees, clouds, cars, walls, hedges, gates etc. but on the plus side the modelling side is minimal! I hope that it'll create an interesting effect for the intro,

let me know what you rekon.

Cheers,

Mat.

user added image