Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-02-2004 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber

Animation project

This robot will be in a animated scene...

WIP modeling right now, the head and fingers will be added. Right now I don't have any inspiration for robot heads/hands. If anyone has any good tips on robot heads and hands feel free to go ahead. There might be some more tweaking on the character...

Attached Images
# 2 28-02-2004 , 03:27 AM
Subscriber
Hands, maybe stay away from human one's. Less or more than 5 fingers helps people like the robot better.

Looks like a start with some good idea of how to model it. I would focus a bit on making the joints believable. For instance the ball joints for hips and shoulders. While technically you could say yeah it works because there are internal hydraulics and more of a true ball joint inside. It still doesn’t make it plain to the viewer that this could work. I my self would show more means for it to work mechanically. This is of curse unless your going for a cartoon affect, in which case forget what I've said. LOL

# 3 29-02-2004 , 03:38 PM
Same Animation, different character. made by.... Me... First time Im acutally doing something worth keeping. Nice work *g* Anyways...
I liked the way his feet turned out. But he need some really heavy tweaking n' fleshing out. Awful legs but getting there.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 01-03-2004 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
Todays results

yup, he's user friendly - just look at those big hugs he will give you :p

also started with the uv-mapping thingy, alot of that remains

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 03-03-2004 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
The midlle section are diffrent now, have completed the UV-mapping now. Altough not started to put textures on it yet.

Here is a just a material test

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 03-03-2004 , 08:43 PM
Looking good man. The second robots' gun reminds me of the alien weapon in HalfLife.

Could you tell us more about the animation youre doing? I'm guessing that theyre obviously going to fight each other? Or no? Maybe? hehe tell us more!

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 7 03-03-2004 , 11:41 PM
Looking Real good user added image

# 8 04-03-2004 , 12:22 AM
Looking realy good, but i got to say this, arms are just too long, now thats just me talking but i think that they are, post your robots front view render!!! See ya

# 9 04-03-2004 , 01:19 PM
Maybe his arms are supposed to be long for some reason? :p

# 10 04-03-2004 , 01:32 PM
jup meybe it is robot that should imitate chimpanzee, if that is the case then is allright :p just joking, no hard feelings, A rely like your robot but arms are too long user added image

# 11 06-03-2004 , 04:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by orgeeizm
Could you tell us more about the animation youre doing? I'm guessing that theyre obviously going to fight each other? Or no? Maybe? hehe tell us more!

Well, we haven't done the storyboard yet. Although we have worked out all the objects that need to be modeled and what will happen in the animation. We have taken a sound-clip from a Dirty Harry movie (the one when he says ...do you feel lucky punk?...) and one from The Fith Element (give me that cash!).

Yes, you guessed correct. It will be some kind of a scene where one bot will be mugged (robbed or what does one say?).

Anyways, it will be our own interpretation of those sound-clips. So later this spring you might see the animtion results. Just let's hope everything will work out smoothly and not too much will bug us.

Tomorrow I will post a render of my character (the one with really long arms) with some simple textures.

# 12 06-03-2004 , 06:26 PM
Moahaha!! I beat you to it... Very simple texturing. Hopefully It will be all done tomorrow. It has to! Darn that schedule! Well well... Legs turned out good. The coloring of the gun was inspired by Unit 01 from Evangelion (Anime). Gonna make the "trident" front electrical. Lightning and stuff. Huff huff.. Better make dinner and then back to work if Im supposed to make it.

Attached Images
# 13 06-03-2004 , 06:29 PM
Backside. Duh... Trying to make the gun look like it is invading it's carriers body.

Attached Images
# 14 06-03-2004 , 06:31 PM
And finally, for now. The sideview. Very happy with how the legs tunred out. Looks kinda funny with chickenlegs but he is gonna kick ass. Or not.... ;-)

Attached Images
# 15 07-03-2004 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
Keep up the speed buddy. So you decided to go with flames, huh what's up with that? Can't wait to see what you have in mind.

Alright time to get some serious spamming done here :bandit:

As a matter of fact I have model a gun (not any gun but a Magnum 44) and will show you guys the results. The modeling was done for a couple of days ago, also have uv-mapped it. Though haven't worked on it till today. Assigned materials and some lightning to it.

Vanilla version:

Attached Images