Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-08-2008 , 03:35 AM

Alpha Map Shadows

How do you get an alpha map to cast shadows? I experimented with an alpha tree. I put the alpha map on the transparency but the whole plane casts the shadow instead of the tree. Even though only the tree shows in the render.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 26-08-2008 , 04:51 AM
This my friend is what we call a gobo, or a cocoloris. It stems from theatre and to do it in maya i just map my alpha channel to the color attribute of my spot lights. You can centre, adjust and repeat the image in the 2d texture placement node as expected but remember to set the default color appropriately.

You dont actually need any shadow calculations involved at all.