Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 21-12-2009 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber

Hello all! After watching Avatar and being impressed by the '3D' effect of the movie i have been inspired to do some technical experimenting.

Remembering i had a pair of old 3D LCD Shutter-glasses and having tried a similar test before, i hooked it all up and to my amazement after some screaming and hitting i got it all to work! (its buggy as all hell but at least it turns on...)

NOW my plan is to make a music video using blue screened actors in a 3D scene to give a kind of 3d cardboard cut out effect plus other big ideas i am yet to think of. My question is do any of you good people posses the hardware to actually view a final product?

Youtube actually has a new setting to view 3D videos (in Red/Blue, Shutterglasses, interleaved ext.) so i can upload any tests i do.

Tell me what you all think, worth doing or not?

(link to a 3D youtube video... Pretty cool stuff if you can get it to work! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsMWOjxnzgc )

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 2 21-12-2009 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
A quick test i did for proof of concept. The middle image is viewed with the 3D Glasses.

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 22-12-2009 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
I didn't know youtube had that option that's awesome! Sounds like a cool idea, I tried to make one of my characters in 3d but the stereographic red and cayan stuff was off and my glasses weren't making it 3d.

I love the idea though sounds like a great plan, can't wait to see this.

# 4 22-12-2009 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
Thanks!
Right now i am looking at better options on how to do the 3D output and the best method looks to be Side by Side. The two frames are exported as a double width video and the viewing program can convert that to any 3D output like red/blue or shutter.
The next step is to actually make a 3D camera which doesn't seem to be as hard as i thought it would.

# 5 22-12-2009 , 02:53 AM
Subscriber
yeah the 3d camera seemed pretty simple, I only dabbled in it for a day or two just screwing around when I needed to take a break from a project I was working on.

Didn't quite get how I was going to make something 3d with the side by side so I just stuck with stereographic which I didn't get right, although the default settings were about as close as I got to getting it right, haha.

# 6 22-12-2009 , 05:17 AM
Subscriber
yeah I'm having heaps of trouble exporting it all in a watchable setting.
Was really bummed today cause i pulled out my old video cameras and had it all set up only to realize one wasn't working properly.
I'm thinking ill do some tests with multiple web cameras before i waste money setting up a high quality solution.