Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-02-2010 , 04:10 PM

Furbie Newbie

in my effort to learn Maya I am off to Fur. I have been going through a couple of tutorials on the topic and I can't seem to find a solution for the problem i am having. Image of problem here. The model is constructed with a single geometry of polygons and I have looked inside the model to see if the fur is growing inside. As I have applied the fur to the entire model this is not what I expected to see. I have as some of the tutorials have suggested to reversed the normals to see if that corrects this issue. Babe in the woods here..... any suggestions?

d

# 2 14-02-2010 , 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
It could be that your model's UVs are not laid out properly. As a matter of fact, I'd bet good money that's the problem as fur just doesn't play nice if the UVs are a mess.

- Genny
# 3 14-02-2010 , 04:35 PM

Originally posted by GecT
It could be that your model's UVs are not laid out properly.

And what would be proper? .... if they are not is their an easy fix? .... Remember Babe in the woods here. Thanks.

d

# 4 14-02-2010 , 05:09 PM

# 5 14-02-2010 , 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
No problemo. I think the word "easy" is relative, UV mapping is one of those processes that can be very tedius, and with enough experience it becomes something you can just drone right through. Have fun and stuff.

- Genny
# 6 14-02-2010 , 05:19 PM
The thin red line
I had some thing like this turned out the norms were facing the wrong way...........dave

# 7 15-02-2010 , 03:34 PM
OK I am into this task and I want to know when creating UV mask do you have to create one for the entire model? I ask this as this is for fur and I will not have fur on some parts of the model, mainly the hands and mouth and parts of the head. I am pretty sure that I am not skilled enough to even start thinking about creating one for the mouth that has many teeth surfaces and would get complicated pretty quick.

d

# 8 15-02-2010 , 04:49 PM
The thin red line

Last edited by daverave; 15-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.
# 9 15-02-2010 , 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
I think you meant UV "map". If you're planning to use any textures, yes you do. I don't think it was a good idea to have the entire model be one piece of geometry, like the gum and teeth and stuff. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with all that, but in all honesty, this isn't the simplest model to learn UV mapping, so if you can manage to separate then it may not be such a hardship.

Dave that link is broken.

- Genny
# 10 15-02-2010 , 05:58 PM
The thin red line
Should be working now, dont know why it stopped.........dave

# 11 15-02-2010 , 06:35 PM

Originally posted by GecT
If you're planning to use any textures, yes you do. I don't think it was a good idea to have the entire model be one piece of geometry, like the gum and teeth and stuff. I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with all that, but in all honesty, this isn't the simplest model to learn UV mapping, so if you can manage to separate then it may not be such a hardship.

Well that is part of the issue. I am picking up what I know about Maya here and there and everywhere. The problem with learning that way is that there is no list or teacher with the big picture telling you, well you really need to know a, b ,c to do this task. So in other words I am wandering around :headbang: crashing into things that I need to do but didn't know I needed to.

Anyway, your suggestion is to fully map the entire model after I have removed the dentures ;-). In other words have the entire body mapped, I presume the inside of the mouth too.

As far as the complexity of the model is concerned..... well I have always jumped in head first to see if there was water in the pool. Tend to learn my lessons well that way.....

Thanks

d

Last edited by roontoon; 15-02-2010 at 06:40 PM.
# 12 16-02-2010 , 10:31 AM
Subscriber
not sure if you know this but uv mapping is a way of mapping points on a 2D plane onto a 3D model..
hence why it's called uvs.. the u and v refer to the two directions in 2D because it would be confusing to call them x and y :p

yeah, not the best explanation but you can find better

if you've never laid out uvs before then you should do the tutorials that come with maya...

in fact if you plan on taking maya seriously you should really do some/most/all of those tutorials user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 13 16-02-2010 , 05:24 PM

in fact if you plan on taking maya seriously you should really do some/most/all of those tutorials user added image

Please remember that this little journey of mine started with fur. And in point of fact I did do the tutorial that comes with Maya on fur. The problem that I expressed is EVEN in their tutorial there was no mention of UV mapping. So considering the size and the complexity of Maya I didn't feel the need to learn about it yet. Now I do. Thanks for the reply.

d

# 14 19-02-2010 , 02:47 PM

Another question.

OK got the UV map done and it is accepting fur of which I have not delved into much yet. But I do have another couple of questions on this topic. 1) Do you have to do a UV map of the entire model or can I leave sections not mapped where i know I don't want fur but want skin color. Also have removed the entire inter-mouth and tongue and throat as a single geometry. I want to have the tongue very flexible so I can do very cartoony animations with it as well as having the teeth move with the jaw. The question is it better to have the entire inter-mouth as a single geometry in terms of rigging this model?

Thank again as I have learned much from this single thread.

d