Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-02-2010 , 12:16 AM

Dark edges and triangles on shaded model - Revisited...

Hello! I have a smooth-shaded mesh which shows dark areas in the viewport and renderer.
I would like the surface to be as smooth as possible, but there are problems over most of the model. Only the more flat areas look right.
(picture)
I think this is a normals issue - but I have read other posts and tried various suggestions but nothing gets rid of the dark areas.
I have unlocked the normals, changed the vertex normals angle, re-faceted by setting the edges to hard and then soft again, but the problems remain.

Any help appreciated.

--- I don't know if this is relevant, but the model was imported via FBX (from Cinema 4D). I've done this with other models and not had this problem. I re-imported the model with normals not exported from Cinema 4D, so I assume that Maya creates them on import.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Images
# 2 18-02-2010 , 01:37 AM
Technical Director
I can't really see from the image, but try to smooth the model. I don't think you have enough resolution.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.