Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-07-2007 , 03:21 PM

Nurbs Modelling - Inserting Isoparms Problem

Hi Everyone,

Really hope you can help me:

Only started learning MAYA a couple of weeks ago and i'm having a problem with Nurbs.

I've started using the Learning MAYA 7 book and i'm currently modelling the robot in Nurbs (Chapter 15). I'm up to creating the chest which started off as a cylinder with no caps.

Next part was to insert isoparms which i did - (twice) - and edited the vertices after the insertion.

But now when i insert another isoparm on the same cylinder, it's not allowing me to move any of the vertices at all.
It's as if it's now locked in it's current position.

Any ideas what the problem might be?...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's really ticking me off now. ha-ha...

Cheers,

Add
user added image

# 2 20-07-2007 , 03:28 PM
Jr.Who
Could you post a pic?

Also, what does the SE (Script Editor) say? user added image

# 3 20-07-2007 , 03:41 PM
You're not gonna believe this, i've just tried it again (exactly the same process - about the 10th time) but this time with the script editor open and it's decided to work again. I'm quite baffled...

I'll post a pic of what it looked like before though.

Thanks for the speedy response, I feel quite embarrassed now. Just hope it continues to work… :S

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by AdamConway; 20-07-2007 at 04:03 PM.
# 4 21-07-2007 , 07:37 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
What i did when i followed the tutorial from that book, is i rendered out his finished robot in the front and side view(select robot press f so that the distance is the same to prevent scaling issue's and in the renderglobals select the preffered rendercamera).
this way you have some good sourceimages to work from

good luckuser added image

# 5 21-07-2007 , 11:08 AM
Cheers man, good tip!
I'll try that tonight.

user added image

# 6 22-07-2007 , 11:58 AM
Just thought I’d post the final robot to show that I’d moved on from the isoparm problem.
Went a bit mad with using some of the new EP Curve/trim & loft techniques I’d learnt, but I needed the practice anyways ha-ha...
Also, I added the head from the ready made template - I'm not going to do anymore work on the robot or use it in a future demo reel, so I figured it's time to move onto the NURBS Texturing chapter of the book.

Looking forward to creating my own designs in future and posting them in the WIP section!

Cheers guys,

Add
:attn:

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 22-07-2007 , 12:01 PM
Jr.Who
It would be nice to see a better render of it. Try making the bottom plane much bigger, and putting a different lamber on it that is a lighter color. Also, a light in the back of him would be good.
user added image

# 8 22-07-2007 , 03:14 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Although it's coming along nicely, there are some major issues you need to adress before you go to the texturing part of the book;
-His torso is a bit off compared to the original.
-Arms aren't the way they ought to be
- something strange is going on with his head.
I took the liberty to attache an image approx. at the same angle as your render, i think you'll see my point.

I don't mean to take a piss at you i'ts just to helpuser added image

Attached Images
# 9 22-07-2007 , 06:00 PM
No worries bud - Appreciate the comments, i wasn't very clear in my last post. I'll be ditching my model and carrying on with the one provided on the CD for the rest of the chapters.

To be honest I was just trying to test out the things I was learning - making tweaks to certain areas to go over parts of the chapter again.
(Like the arm sockets with the extra loft / the shoulder pads or the upper arms adding extra isoparms to see if I had the same issues as earlier in the thread lol).

My main goal at the mo is to just learn the basics and then put the time & precision into my own stuff in future.

user added image

Last edited by AdamConway; 22-07-2007 at 06:11 PM.
# 10 22-07-2007 , 06:57 PM
Last post of Mr. Roboto before he’s forgotten about forever. He’s even waving goodbye…
user added image
(Jr.Who: I've just very quickly put together a scene - added a point light to the front/above-ish and imported the rotating planets from an earlier chapter which uses a spot light. Also tried to move him around a little, but it was taking a bit too long and I really wanna move on now – take a look anyways).
Cheers for the comments,
Add
user added image

Attached Thumbnails