Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 08-07-2005 , 04:15 AM

Frustrating Odd (duplicate faces) problem

I am modeling one of SimplyMaya's tutorial models. I am having a repeating problem with objects I create. I am finding that my objects have duplicate faces, each face has a duplicate face in the same space.

I have checked to see if maybe I duplicated the object twice by mistake. I move the object over to see if there is a dup in the same space, but that is never the case.

It is one object with duplicate faces only.

This is very frustrating because when I am creating my UV maps I get twice as many pieces to sew together. I have to go back and click on each face of the object and delete the duplicate faces then go and merge all the vertexes. :headbang:

These are polygon objects that have been converted back and forth between polys and subdiv's.

Any ideas on how I can keep these from reoccuring?

Thanks in advance.

# 2 08-07-2005 , 04:55 AM
It just occured again. I switched a poly object to subdiv and then back to poly and the "new" object had two faces and now I have two sets of overlapping UV maps. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

This is a object I just finished the UV map on.

# 3 08-07-2005 , 05:05 AM
I swear maya can be so weird sometimes. Ok, I went and switched the object to faces and just selected all the faces and then hit delete. This appeared to fix the problem of the duplicate faces except for one face. It killed all the duplicate faces in the object except for one.

This one refuses to be deleted. I have clicked on it at least a couple dozen times and tried to delete it without success.

Any ideas?

# 4 09-07-2005 , 04:56 AM
Ok. Here is another example of my problem. It creates a face at the edge of the object.

1. I delete the edge face and then move it over to show that it now is disconnected and I have to reconnect the edges.

2. Reveals the face that should not be there.

3. This is how the edge looks all the way around.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 09-07-2005 , 12:16 PM
When you do heavy editing extrudes/merging cvs etc, it's a good idea to to dbl-check your verts from time to time...sometimes there will be two though it looks like one...you just have to go through and merge them. As a result of things like this, you can have problems like this if it goes un-detected. At least this is what I've found when it's happened to me. Maybe go back to an earlier save if you have one and check it.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 09-07-2005 , 04:54 PM
I am pretty sure it has something to do with converting the object between poly's and subdiv's. I really would like to know why this is happening. I am not going to convert any object until I do so I don't have to go back and spend a hour fixing the object again.

# 7 09-07-2005 , 07:04 PM
Can't help you then. I usually model with poly proxy and the smoothed shape side by side. I've had this happen with straight poly modeling (no converting) so...*shrug*

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 11-07-2005 , 05:02 PM
I find it hard to believe I am the only person who has experienced this problem. I am still looking for some advice regarding this issue.

Is it common knowledge that converting polygons to Sub-Div's and vise versa is typically a problem free process? The conversion process has no side effects or problems?

user added image

# 9 11-07-2005 , 05:24 PM
Subscriber
I find the problem usually occurs if you convert while still in the "polygon" mode of the Sub-d. Not sure what the bug is, but that is when I get the duplicate. To avoid this be sure to convert only from object mode. If you're still getting dups, then I'm at a loss. Open Hypergraph before converting to see what nodes change/appear.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 10 11-07-2005 , 08:31 PM
Hi There,

I've had this same problem happen when I've converted to SubD, but want to go back to Polygons and hit undo instead of converting back. There might have been the odd time that this has occured during an actual convert... I was so frustrated, going back to older files all the time before the mess up. I also tried selecting all the vertices on the whole model and doing a merge vert with a low number, but all these seemed to take to long.

Anyways, I made a hotkey Shift + O for the Outliner, and check in there for extra geometry, then go thru and see what is highlighted when I click on various items... a good time to rename your objects if you haven't already user added image Then just delete the duplicate.

Hope this Helps,

!MasterFool

Last edited by masterfool; 11-07-2005 at 08:33 PM.
# 11 11-07-2005 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
this topic has been beaten to death. its not just u who experience this little nuance,

it happens because of the shape node that gets automatically seclected after u convert to subD,
and while the shape node is selected and u undo [sometimes*.. 8 out od 10] maya will not delete the extra shape node it created when u undo.

to work around this, i somtimes use this script called polytosubswitcher
or i just be carefull when i model.

heres the script assaign it to a hot key so u can easily go back and forth.

Attached Files
File Type: mel polysubswitcher.mel (4.2 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by vladimirjp; 11-07-2005 at 09:23 PM.
# 12 11-07-2005 , 11:38 PM

Mel Script

Hey Vlad,

If I understand you correctly this MEL script toggles back and forth, one click? I currently have 2 buttons on my Poly Shelf, one to Convert Poly to SubD, and one to Convert SubD to Poly.

Right now, when I convert to SubD, it does smooth out the geometry a bit in places, which is nice, for when I convert back to edit in poly more, is this essentially the same, but with one click?

Someone had to ask. Might as well be me. user added image

I downloaded the script anyway, I think I did find another script that did something like this one time, never did install it yet though. Thanks.

!MasterFool