Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-02-2005 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber

Smoothing problems

I'm currently in the middle of trying to model a computer monitor, I've started with a fairly basic shape and moved/extruded bits to create the thing below. Now this problem seems to come up every time I try and model things, especially bits of electrical equipment - how can I smooth some bits while fairly hard edges on others? Whenever I use the polygon->smooth command it has an annoying habit of smoothing _everything_. Is there a really simple trick I'm missing or do I have to turn all my normals the right way round every time I smooth something? Thanks for any help.

Attached Images
# 2 13-02-2005 , 01:36 AM
select the faces of the object that you want to smoothen then select smooth this will only smoothen-up the faces selected.

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 3 13-02-2005 , 10:39 AM
Subscriber
You might also consider beveling the edges that need be "rounded."

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 27-02-2005 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
not sure if this solution is what you're looking for, but thought i let you know anyway.

smoothing rounds your model from the lines closest to the hard edges of your model (see red lines). if you move these line closer to the egde, your bevel gets smaller (and thus your egde harder). you could also use split polygon to draw new lines closer to your edges. this method helps you in achieving a combination of different sizes of bevels and roundings in your model.

good luck!

Attached Images

Last edited by tiz; 27-02-2005 at 09:38 PM.