Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 25-10-2011 , 06:20 PM
got it. thanks

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 32 31-10-2011 , 11:00 AM

Hi kayveedeeoh, could you send me a test file? I'll take a look into it. Is the normal batch not working?

I had problems batching out instanced geometry, but I found a script to convert that to actual baked geometry. so for me its problem solved... I can batch again.

# 33 31-12-2011 , 12:11 AM
Even though this thread's been dormant for a couple of months, I just had to register on the forums and give a HUGE shout out of profound thanks to John for his work on this script. It saved my life.

Edit: Autodesk should pay you royalties.

# 34 31-12-2011 , 01:40 AM
Technical Director

Even though this thread's been dormant for a couple of months, I just had to register on the forums and give a HUGE shout out of profound thanks to John for his work on this script. It saved my life.

Edit: Autodesk should pay you royalties.

Wow, thank you Trinitas! This made my day; I'm truly glad it helped you out. Thanks again for taking the time to let me know, I really appreciate it!

Hope all is well,

-John

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 35 26-01-2012 , 08:17 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
This is a very helpful script I cant believe I went so long without noticing the thread. I am using it now and it is very helpful. Thanks John

# 36 03-02-2012 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber
i have a strange problem. it went all the time very well. now i dont knw what i changed. i put the correct data in there and it renders only one frame very often. is it maybe because of vue elements in the scene?

# 37 03-02-2012 , 04:40 PM
Technical Director

i have a strange problem. it went all the time very well. now i dont knw what i changed. i put the correct data in there and it renders only one frame very often. is it maybe because of vue elements in the scene?

I would need more information to debug this. Have you set the start and end frame correctly?

# 38 06-02-2012 , 10:17 PM
Haha, love it! I just had to register to say how awesome this is!
Someone comes here with the problem that batch render doesn't work.. so the response is to make a working one hahaha, we should be paying you to make the software, not Autodesk!

# 39 08-02-2012 , 03:26 AM
Technical Director

Haha, love it! I just had to register to say how awesome this is!

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. I'm glad you found it useful!

# 40 08-02-2012 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
hi. thanks a lot.

yes. i had everything correct. if have to be a problem with the vue scene. i deleted it for a quick test and then it again worked out perfect. strange. but also with batch renderer its not working. it renders some frames and then it stops saying that it has made it.

# 41 08-02-2012 , 11:31 PM
19 year Veteran
Here is a link to all kinds of info (and some you might not know about ) concerning render layers . Should help alot of you folks just getting into maya that find working and rendering with layers hard to understand.

This link also address's the problem Lokjutus had with batch rendering.

https://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=88

# 42 08-02-2012 , 11:43 PM
Technical Director

Here is a link to all kinds of info (and some you might not know about ) concerning render layers . Should help alot of you folks just getting into maya that find working and rendering with layers hard to understand.

This link also address's the problem Lokjutus had with batch rendering.

https://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=88

Hi THX1138, that tutorial is only valid for older versions of Maya (2010 or 2009, can't remember) and down to 7. Parts of the tutorial are wrong as well. Occlusion is NOT supposed to multiply over-top an image. See: https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37042

We also have a full tutorial here that covers render passes, and basic compositing: https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...ke/?tut_id=202

# 43 09-02-2012 , 12:08 AM
Lifetime Member
ND I dont have nuke...can the composite be applied in PS????? I have abilities to work around software toolset differences if they arent too different in the program function.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 44 09-02-2012 , 01:59 AM
19 year Veteran

Hi THX1138, that tutorial is only valid for older versions of Maya (2010 or 2009, can't remember) and down to 7. Parts of the tutorial are wrong as well. Occlusion is NOT supposed to multiply over-top an image.

Thanks ND! I only have Maya 6.5. so unless they have redesigned the layers palette completely for maya 2011 and 2012, most all of the info should still work.

About the Occlusion part, I see where your getting at. Why multiply over occlusion, it just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe the occlusion in the layer preset actually needs a blend mode change to make the occlusion work properly. Otherwise he would have just assigned occlusion to that layer minus any blend modes and rendered out the result.

EDIT: Went over the section of that tutorial again and it seems to confirm my suspicions, it's not real Ambient Occlusion, It only imitates it using a blend mode. I made a scene with a similar object and used real mib Ambient Occlusion and it looked alot different.

Last edited by THX1138; 09-02-2012 at 02:26 AM.
# 45 10-02-2012 , 04:33 PM
Technical Director

ND I dont have nuke...can the composite be applied in PS?????

Of course!

I made a scene with a similar object and used real mib Ambient Occlusion and it looked alot different.

Of course it does user added image The way he's doing it, it doesn't even use an ambient pass. Hence it's not "Ambient Occlusion" user added image