Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-02-2011 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber

question about textures???

Hi

Quick question about texures? What type of texture are generally used when creating environmet scenes/models
I know of textures such as Bump Map, Spec Map, etc but just wanted to know all of the different options there are and what they could be used for.

I know this is quite a broad question but any examples of textures I can use would be very useful.

Thanks

nbrooks

nbrooks
# 2 04-02-2011 , 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
Broad indeed. The thing about textures is that, yes you have the really common kinds like color/diffuse, spec/reflectivity, transparency, normal,bump, displacement etc. But the thing about creating materials is, since shaders have so many channels that you may need to tweak, you may find yourself needing textures like translucency or glow maps for example. There are so many possibilities.

- Genny
# 3 19-03-2011 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
i hope this doesn't sound mean to you but you should google first to narrow down the specifics of what you want to know. One could write pages and pages of writing related to such concept.
you could google things like 'what is bump mapping' and 'specular'
or you could just go to wikipedia and read what it has to say.
do note that you have a high chance of running into a lot of math user added image
after doing some research you can a more specific question

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D