Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-08-2012 , 05:41 PM

Another question!!

hi,
Sorry to ask - how on earth do I get this shape?

I can do the circle OR the square, but not sure how to get this shape user added image

Any tips?

user added image

totally stuck!

# 2 10-08-2012 , 06:09 PM
Sorry that image is just to small for my 50 year old eyes to make any sense out of. I see lots of shapes there - tubes, bolts, sort of a belt housing shape...

You have to break it down into basic shapes.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-08-2012 at 06:13 PM.
# 3 10-08-2012 , 06:17 PM
Ah, sorry.
It's the square looking one, with the circular ending. This one with the bolts on it, i've tried to circle it but didn't do a good job. -- the one I think you described as the housing...

Maybe clearer here.

user added image

I can do the bolts, its the shape around that part.

I started with a plan and then tried to merge a circular ending, but no luck! user added image

Last edited by nathan100; 10-08-2012 at 06:28 PM.
# 4 10-08-2012 , 09:52 PM
There are lots of ways to model that shape. Because of my engineering background I would approach it as a draftsmen would.

Start with construction lines (3 nurbs circles) and

then using the Create Polygon Tool from the side view just draw out the shape and

then extrude some thickness and

then add a bevel.

Now this leaves the ever popular and controversial ngon at the cap which (a) is planar, and (b) will not be deformed, and (c) will not be smoothed and therefore will render just fine. If you look at your turbosquid reference image you can see this is the same geo they used (which was most likely done in 3dsmax). If you want to be anal about it or you have a TD that insists on all quads it would be a simple matter to retopologize it.

NOTE - I could made the entire shape from nurbs and convert to a polyshape but Maya nurbs scare people so I went with the create polygon tool.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-08-2012 at 05:16 AM.
# 5 11-08-2012 , 11:27 AM
Thanks for your help on this user added image.

It's getting there! Need to learn how to put a cable in there now.

user added image

# 6 11-08-2012 , 02:56 PM
Simply draw out a cv curve along the path of the cable and then extrude a nurbs circle along the curve. You can leave it as a nurb surface or convert it to a poly surface.

I would suggest putting a bit more of a bevel on the edges of that plate. Razor sharp edges look very CG.

Last edited by ctbram; 11-08-2012 at 03:04 PM.
# 7 11-08-2012 , 03:28 PM
OK. Is the bevel all the way around... set to like 0.1?

I'm sorry for the questions - but would you create the following shape with nurbs too?
user added image

Here's what happened when I tried to do it. When wrong at the top, so will do it again. Although not sure how to make it indent for the lights.

user added image

# 8 11-08-2012 , 05:39 PM
1. the offset for the bevel will be subjective. You just need to move the camera to a reasonable distance and then eyeball it so that you get a natural highlight around the edges.

2. As long as that surface is planner you can create it by drawing it out using the create polygon tool. For the inset bits you will need to add geometry and extrude faces inwards. Once again I would go with adding enough geo that you do not have to smooth it and then bevel the edges.

In this case though I would not recommend leaving the cap faces as one ngon. It does not have to be all quads since you will not be smoothing but I would cut in edges at all the corners. Bevel first.

# 9 12-08-2012 , 06:06 AM
Hi, Thank-you for the reply.
Is there a tutorial/tips/step-by-step on how to add geo after the create poly tool?
Sorry to ask, fairly new to some tools in Maya.

# 10 12-08-2012 , 07:12 AM
Just use edit mesh > split poly tool and cut in some edges to the corners kind of like this...

This also makes things all quads. But mostly it will help to prevent some odd uv stretching you can get when you have a large ngon that has inside and outside corners and no internal edges.

Note: you are going to want to apply the bevels before you add these edges. It is not mandatory but it will reduce the amount of cleanup you have to do and you can simply toss a bevel on the entire object in one shot and then use split polygon to add in the edges.

For the inset part you can either add geo and extrude inward and clean up or boolean a chunk out and clean up. The other cylindrical parts just look to be stuck into the surface.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 12-08-2012 at 01:31 PM.
# 11 12-08-2012 , 05:59 PM
Hi,
I realise that I'm almost asking the same thing. I've tried and tried again! to get something similar to what you have.

I uploaded the image plane in side view. Followed it with the create poly tool and then extruded. I need to add the bevel - but wanted to try and add the split poly tool first.
It allows me to add it to the side but not the front! (the main face!)

Here's what I have.

user added image

# 12 12-08-2012 , 06:22 PM
Bevel first then cut in edges on the cap faces

If you are still having trouble with splitting the edges you could start all over with a cube and then just extrude faces to get the shape you are going for. With this method you will be creating the internal cap edges as you go.

Short of that I am not sure what else to recommend.

Last edited by ctbram; 12-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.