Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 09-09-2011 , 08:10 AM

Chrome Texture rendering problem in Maya

I'm a beginner in Maya and recently I created a bathroom scene by following a tutorial. I did everything correct and applied all textures smoothly but when I rendered then chrome texture to metal objects didn't rendered properly and all metal objects which were created by NURBS looks black. I tried to find out the solution but didn't got it because I don't know what is the problem due to which texture on NURBS object is not visible on rendering.

Can anybody suggest something about it?

Here are the screen shots of texture settings and final render.
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 09-09-2011 , 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
A couple things come to mind.

1. Even though you've set the overall reflectivity high, the BRDF values are not set high enough for such a reflective surface. They control how reflective the surface will appear based on the angle of view, and chrome is pretty reflective from all angles, so instead of having a 0 degree value of 0.2(default) you can bump that up to near the full 1.0

2. The normals on the drawer handles could need reversing as they are not even showing any kind of reflection like the faucet is doing.

Attached Images

- Genny
# 3 09-09-2011 , 07:20 PM
Technical Director
Chrome also has no diffuse color, it's purely reflection. Therefore if you have reflections turned off, or set to an adequate number, it will appear black.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.