Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 10-06-2003 , 04:34 PM
adl - Oh, well I stand corrected. I will try to show more.

EagleKing - I know it is way too simple. I will make some cable from the little tanks on the bottom to the side. I am still having no luck with the claw.

Any suggestions on anything are appreciated.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 17 10-06-2003 , 04:37 PM
Oh, and eagleking.....I just made a box and just added a few spot lights with raytracing. Very simple, in fact.

Also, Is there any way to make it appear as if it is in water, maybe kinda like in Nemo.

# 18 10-06-2003 , 08:05 PM
Any suggestions on the windsheild thingy. I dont know how to go about starting it.

# 19 11-06-2003 , 07:06 PM
come on guys. I need help. help me figure out how to fix the window and put this thing in some water. Hehe

# 20 11-06-2003 , 07:19 PM
Subscriber
drknow, just a suggestion. if you cry for help, than you probably dont have enough ideas - if you are giving your best and still dont win, then you still learn a lot experience. the challenge is not about winning, it is about gaining experience. if you get feedback, then it is ok. if you dont, then you have to make the best out of it. that is part of the challenge. take me for instance - i dont get a lot of suggestions nor do i ask for them specifically. i just kind of make my thing, and once in a while upload a wip pic to satisfy the requirement of the challenge.

# 21 11-06-2003 , 07:34 PM
i agree half and half, i think its fine to ask for a little help with somethign but i dont think asking for ideas is very gud, i think the design is gr8 though drknow, i would convert back to polys.. its tooo smooth at the moment, its hard to add alot of detail after smoothing. I tend to do a low res of everything then step up the detail.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 22 11-06-2003 , 07:35 PM
Is it designed to go under, or on the water? The initial concet was to go under water, but those pontoons look like its for floating.

# 23 11-06-2003 , 08:36 PM
babyduck - Well, I guess you are right, kinda. But I am not looking for ideas, merely suggestions. There is a big difference between a suggestion an an idea. A suggestion is just a tip to make something look better. For example, "Extrude the faces on the windsheild and scale them in. An Idea would be "add another rudder to the bottom of the sub" (which I might do in fact). Do you see what I mean mr. ducky user added image. Also, I don't care about winning, and that has never been my goal. Im sure u were a newbie once, and I bet you asked for help every once in a while. I am just asking questions so that maybe one day I can think of a career in Cg, ya know.

LauriePriest - Yea, they are just smoothed polys. I know I shouldn't have smoothed, but I guess if there is a major detail to add I can start that particular part over. Great suggestion though. I will try to keep everything basic from here on out. I think maybe instead of smoothing I should just convert to subD using the CPS tool. Thanks, Btw.

Icarus_Uk - Yea, I was thinking that myself, but I am using those as air tanks to keep the boyancy consistant with the water(salinity in the ocean changes the density of the water, causing the sub to sink and rise, and the pontoons prevent that). It will look better as soon as I get some tubes on it. I don't know why I haven't added them, I guess my priorities are not in the right order.

# 24 11-06-2003 , 09:10 PM
A few more unnoticeable edits. I have all the curves ready to be extruded into tubes. I hope to have them looking halfway decent(for me anyways) by tomorow.

Attached Images

# 25 26-06-2003 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
well it has been 19 days since this post, can we see the damn extruded tubes yet!?!?

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 26 26-06-2003 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
lol! Vector cracking the whip!! come on guys, lets get moving user added image

# 27 26-06-2003 , 04:08 AM
Oh, sorry VectorMan, I didnt explain myself when I said "tommorow". I actually meant "never". I think I am through with this one. I know you will probably hate my lazy ass now. Can I say that??? I dunno.

# 28 29-06-2003 , 01:42 AM
Subscriber
yes actually i hate ALL you're lazy a**es, COME ON! I got a whip now so whatch you're but! Just extrude the dang tubes, put it on a blue bg with some bubbles and say final render at the VERY LEAST , i mean you got this far you might as well....

my .02

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 29 29-06-2003 , 06:05 AM
Fine. I will do it. Maybe, that is. 8)

# 30 29-06-2003 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
ah dr know.. dont be forced by vectorman user added image.. heheheh. I realise what your saying.. sometimes it just doesnt work out and you would be better off starting a new challenge then working on the same one. It is a challenge though, so you may be best off just finishing this model.. it would give you a bit more experience with lofts and stuff. Anyways, not a bad model.. I love the fans user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com